Seed available

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Seed available

Post by shibui »

There's plenty of seed on the maples in our garden this year. Good late summer conditions mean the seed is plump and healthy.

We have a number of different cultivars. Some named, some are my selections from the hundreds of seedlings I grow most years.
You need to remember that any plant grown from seed will have some differences from the parent because all sexual reproduction involves recombinations of genes. That means there is no point in giving you the parent name (if I know it) because your seedlings will not be that variety.
I can select seed from trees with specific traits if anyone wants to try to grow particular features. My experience is that most seedlings are somewhat like the mother tree but there are no guarantees that the seedlings will have any or all of the mother's traits.

I can offer:
Trident maple.
Japanese maple from trees with any of the following traits:
Standard Acer palamtum. Strong and easier to develop as bonsai.
Red leaves. Tend to have larger leaves and longer internodes.
Small leaves and short internodes. This tree looks great for bonsai but has proved very slow growing and less robust than standard JM
Weeping cut leaf JM in either red or green leaf. viability is low and survival is very poor in most cases. See some of the threads discussing this before deciding to try these.
Upright cut leaf JM. Seedlings from this one are highly variable. Most tend to have smallish leaves and are fast growing but very few have shown the deeply cut leaves of the parent tree.
If you can't make up your mind or just want to try a wild lucky dip mix I am happy to put a few of each in.

Packets of around 20 seeds $2, 50 seeds $3 and around 100 seeds $5
Add $3 for pack and post on each order up to 3 packs of seed and talk to me about cost for larger orders.

I also have access to seed of other species that may be of interest.
English oak - large seed so 3 seed for $1 and $10 to cover extra post.

I was hoping to offer Willow leaf oak this year but the birds appear to have beaten me to those acorns :evil:

Chinese elm - small seeds so prices as for maples. I have not grown these so don't know what the viability is.

Birch. We have silver birch and canoe birch but I can't tell them apart so seed will just be birch. Small seed but seems to be viable because I get hundreds of seedling in my pots every summer :roll:

There's probably more I can obtain if you have any special requests but don't bother asking for pine seed as I get first crack at the few I've harvested this year.

email orders to neil@shibuibonsai.com.au or just PM Shibui through the Ausbonsai messaging.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Re: Seed available

Post by wrcmad »

shibui wrote: May 4th, 2020, 6:44 pm Chinese elm - small seeds so prices as for maples. I have not grown these so don't know what the viability is.
I'll vouch for your Chinese Elm seed viability.
The pack you sent a couple of years ago was great. :tu:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I just discovered I forgot to remind WA and TAS residents that your states have strict biosecurity quarantine rules so I can't send seed to either state. I know that's a real pain for you as an individual but the rules are in place to protect your plants and crops from all the nasty pests and diseases that are not already in your state but we have to cope with over here.

I would love to help but just cannot risk sending any plant material through to either WA or TAS.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I just remembered I did not mention WA and TAS quarantine restrictions. No plant material can be sent from Eastern states into either of those states. I know that's a pain for you personally but the quarantine is in place to protect your plants and crops from all the nasty pests and diseases we have been stupid enough to import here.
WA and Tas residents please don't ask for seed or trees because I cannot send them to you.
BirchMan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop WA

Post by BirchMan »

I think seeds might be ok. I order seeds from an eastern states seller on Ebay once a year with no problems.

I previously checked this with our dept of Agriculture, DPIRD, and they confirmed clean seed wouldn't be a problem. However at the time I think I specified Cedrus libani and JBP. I would assume no problem with maples etc.

EDIT if you were to send seed to WA maybe write the species on the outside of the package to show they're not invasive - i can't keep a J maple alive in Perth in ideal conditions, doubt they're going to go rogue here!

Matti
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

shibui wrote: May 4th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Upright cut leaf JM. Seedlings from this one are highly variable. Most tend to have smallish leaves and are fast growing but very few have shown the deeply cut leaves of the parent tree.
You must be getting cross pollination Neil. I grew this from seed a couple of years ago and got 100% true to type. All very uniform growth rates too.
Mike
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

PM sent :shifty:
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

There's certainly scope for cross pollination with different AP every few metres through the garden. I had assumed that the variability was more from these varieties being first crosses or new combinations of genes. It usually takes quite a few generations of selective breeding to stabilize the genetics and produce a true breeding type. Good to know that you had a better result. That seed usually produces about half the seedlings with some amount of deeply cut leaves but I cannot remember ever getting one with the same leaf pattern as the mother tree.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Sunday was wet and windy outside but I had saved a few Chinese quinces from the marauding avian hordes so spent the day turning them into quince jelly and quince paste
IMGP7653.JPG
A byproduct is some seeds.
Chinese quince seed 10 for $2 + post cost as above.

I found there is limited seed on the small leaf JM and the upright cut leaf variety. It is also sparse on the trees and a real pain to pick :shake: so seed of those will be limited numbers this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”