[Wanted] Any Neji-Kan Pomegranate material (whole plants, cuttings, airlayers)

Australian bonsai classifieds where you can sell or swap anything bonsai related - For Free. Tree's, pots, seeds, stands, tools etc.
Forum rules
You must have made a minimum of 50 posts on AusBonsai before you are able to advertise here.
You must read and abide by all the rules in the following thread viewtopic.php?f=97&t=1573
anthonycocco
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Coral Bark Maple
Bonsai Age: 2

[Wanted] Any Neji-Kan Pomegranate material (whole plants, cuttings, airlayers)

Post by anthonycocco »

Hi, I am based in Melbourne and love the twisted trunks possible with the Neji-kan Pomegranate cultivar. Would love to buy any material and can pick up in Melbourne or have it delivered. If you have anything or know of somewhere with stock please be in touch.
anthonycocco
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: [Wanted] Any Neji-Kan Pomegranate material (whole plants, cuttings, airlayers)

Post by anthonycocco »

Bump.

Ive posted on bonsainut without luck and also been in touch with a few rare plant (Yamina) and prebonsai nurseries - impression is there is no one propagating in australia. Anyone have any for sale or that they are about to trim?
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: [Wanted] Any Neji-Kan Pomegranate material (whole plants, cuttings, airlayers)

Post by KIRKY »

I could be wrong, but…….. Not sure Nejikan Pomegranate is actually a cultivar. Nejikan just means twisted. Could be Neji-kan Pomegranate, Honeysuckle, Olive other various plants that have that twisted old growth habit etc… Do you have a botanical name for this variety? Without that I’m not sure you will find one. All my research on it just shows dwarf Pomegranate. Neji-kan Is mentioned only to describe the twisted trunk. :imo:
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
anthonycocco
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by anthonycocco »

Hi,

My understanding is it is specific cultivar with a genetic mutation similar to cork bark cultivars of other species and originated in Japan early last century with some specimens then sent to the US. It appears growing standard punica granatum nana will not yield the same twisted gnarled trunk even with decades of growth.

Peter Teese from Yamina was certainly aware of it and there have been posts about it before on bonsainut, bonsai4me (harry harrington) and walter pall's blog.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

That’s interesting.
It’s still a case of finding the botanical name of the specific cultivar as a starting point. It’s like looking for a Caitlin Elm, from the Chinese Elm you know the mutated variation and that it’s around finding it is the trick.

Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.

Return to “Buy, Swap or Sell Anything Bonsai Related”