THE JADE TREE

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nil

THE JADE TREE

Post by Dave54 »

Does anyone out there want to add some variety to their collection?

Why not try a Jade tree. Commonly known as the ‘Jade’ or 'Money' tree, its Latin name is ‘Portulacaria afra’.
Mistakenly people tend to think of this plant as being from Asia, however, its true origin is South Africa, where it is commonly referred to as the ‘Elephants Food’ plant. It has small, fleshy, jade green leaves against brownish stems and the close branching habit gives this plant an Oriental appearance.
This tree enjoys a full sun to lightly shaded position and seems to be extremely hardy but doesn't like frost. Because of its high water content many people think it is a succulent. It responds well to fertilizer and seems to be pest resistant.

It grows easily from cuttings whether large or small. Any deadwood dries surprisingly hard and 'sinewy' and does not seem to rot.

To keep compact continually trim back to 2 leaves otherwise the plant becomes very leggy with only end branch foliage.

Of the 3 trees posted there 2 are minies grown from cuttings and the third stands about 50cm tall and was developed from seedling in 1986. I purchased it from a clearance sale and at that time it received its first wiring. Until then it was grown by the clip and grow method.
These are not brilliant trees but do add variety to a collection.
cheers
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dave54 on March 9th, 2009, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: THE JADE TREE

Post by ozzy »

I have a Jade bonsai, it has a wonderful root system and great shape, it is quite a nice little bonsai, very hardy too.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I almost grabbed a big one at a garage sale but In was unsure how they react to hard pruning, back budding and healing?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nil

Post by Dave54 »

Hi,
responds well to all of the above
cheers
Dave
aaron_tas