digging seji elms

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

digging seji elms

Post by Matthew »

Lifted this guy out of the ground last week in the rain . Roots were quite good and nice and shallow . Root base was no deeper then 120mm. I had to rack my brain to when I planted these seji and I must of planted them as cuttings in 2011 so they have spent 9 years in the ground lifted every two years for a root prune . I believe I have trunk chopped this guy twice over that time . rough dimensions that base its almost 9 inches with a height say 65cm at present . That top i'm in to minds that straight section isent right but there is a good right branch and possibly new leader there . The back of that section will need heavy reduction .
Plan B is remove the whole straight section and use that left branch as new direction . Ill proberly wait to see were it buds (I suspect all over ) and feed the heck out of it this growing season

I have another multi trunk same age i'm digging this weekend that ill add to thread
rsz_seji 2.jpg
rsz_seji elm 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 9

Re: digging seji elms

Post by Ryceman3 »

Wow, that is big for a 9 year old cutting! They bark up very nicely huh.
I think if you get buds along that straight section (it sounds like you are confident you will), maybe look to make one of them the new leader and cut back to that once it grows out? Just what I am thinking from the pic you posted.
Look forward to seeing the multi trunk when you get it out. It must be nice to dig trees when you know the roots are going to be good due to previous efforts ... nice job. :yes:
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Ryceman3 wrote: July 17th, 2019, 9:29 am Wow, that is big for a 9 year old cutting! They bark up very nicely huh.
I think if you get buds along that straight section (it sounds like you are confident you will), maybe look to make one of them the new leader and cut back to that once it grows out? Just what I am thinking from the pic you posted.
Look forward to seeing the multi trunk when you get it out. It must be nice to dig trees when you know the roots are going to be good due to previous efforts ... nice job. :yes:
Yes im very surprised how well they grow here especially at no point did the tree get above 5 foot . I think your right about that top . I should defiantly get multiple buds along that section so I proberly pic one and go with that . Yes the roots were surprisingly quite good and fairly even .
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Back and side pic . Some big cuts but ill clean them up and with free growth for a season in this pot the wounds should heal fairly fast .I proberly need to cut a few braches back even harder . that bark aint bad for 9 years .
rsz_rsz_seji_elm2 resize.jpg
rsz_rsz_seji_elm_side resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matthew »

Next guy out of the ground in under 2 minutes. Digging every two years paid off.shallow roots
rsz_220190728_114329.jpg
Decisions...... .reduction but i still dont have a real front yet. 2 of the trunks annoy me. Maybe one will go. Back in the ground till i make more soil.
rsz_20190728_120819.jpg
rsz_20190728_120801.jpg
rsz_20190728_120747.jpg
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Sno »

Nice . Looks like lots of choices ,is it possible to split it ?
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Top drawer stock Matthew! Crumbs - I’d need a new workbench to work on these big units. Given that I usually us my Weber gas BBQ as a reporting surface - seems like it’s time for a six burner! :P

Hmmm, then I would need a bigger garden to display it too. Sea change, tree change ... bonsai change!
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”