Boulevard Cypress Group Planting Progression

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Boulevard Cypress Group Planting Progression

Post by TimS »

You're on an updating spree Mark! I guess it's as good a way as any to pass a lockdown!

The group is coming along well, and i see the two figures are enjoying life in there very much indeed!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Yes mate - been relatively quiet but lockdown3 has me taking advantage of some late summer trims. Back to spamming AusBonsai!

COVID lockdowns have been interesting (that’s one term ... there are more colourful ones) - I managed to pack on 8kgs and I’m playing a fair amount of online chess which I haven’t played for about 30 years!! ... time to get back in the garden and back to running.... and lose some weight !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Sometimes I just go on gut … and I hope I am right because I have come to really like this group.

The trees have not looked great all winter - they looked sad, droopy sometimes but would perk up with water … I decided the poor things must be root bound and look at that pot - it hardly deep!

So, this morning I went at them. Big job. I decided to not just trim roots, but cut out some wedges of root ball (the root ball was very dry!) and bring the three main trees closer together… I hope they survive, I think they will.

While it might not look like it - the overall footprint is now smaller, so too the pot - but deeper. The pot is just a plastic (recovery) tray lined with gutter guard to retain soil but keep drainage. They had a light foliage trim too. I think the trees will benefit from more soil and if they survive - I can imagine them in a proper lovely Australian potter’s tray upon next repot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”