Betula Pendula aka Silver Birch

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Re: Betula Pendula aka Silver Birch

Post by Luke308 »

Thanks Gavin

I see they are popular in my area in peoples gardens, but I guess pot culture is different. They only cost $2 so its no loss if they dont make it, and if they do, (doubt it from what I hear) I will pass on my experiences for others to hopefully gain from. :fc: :fc:
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by Luke308 »

Its been a long time since I updated this post.

Once of the birch's I planted on a nice rock and it was doing great but then suffered a lot of dieback and sadly went to the big pot in the sky.

The other seedling from this post is still alive and kicking albeit a little neglected. I planted it in a colander about 7 years ago and it was severely root bound.

It has really good nebari, and will make a nice shohin once it develops some more branching and ramification. Lets hope this one stays alive :fc:

birch2.jpg
birch3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

That's really nice nebari on the birch, hope you can develop the tree with some ramification. Re the bleeding of birch trees, it should not distress it too much. In Europe birch trees are regularly tapped like Canadian maples to obtain the sap which is drunk as a refreshing juice. This is done by drilling a hole in the tree and hanging a container under the hole. It can be done to a mature tree about once every 3 years without harm to the tree. A large mature tree yields over a liter in a couple of days.
Cheers, Frank.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”