UPDATE OF JUNIPER IN P.K.POT

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: UPDATE OF JUNIPER IN P.K.POT

Post by Pup »

G,day Dave I would were the tree mine lose some of the weight in the foliage. Making it a much more lean tree.
It is in my opinion to feminine at the moment. A bit like a bouffant hair style.
Again just my opinion for what its worth :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nil

Post by Dave54 »

Hi Guys,
Pup I tend to agree with you. Every couple of years I cut back hard, but maybe should continually prune it short.

Anttal. I actually like what you've done with the tree......Don't know about the pot though. Even wondering if the bottom right hand primary should go?????
By the way, just purchased Photoshop Elements 7, and I haven't got a clue :oops:

Elias. the jins don't particularly worry me and often the harsher the climate tends to smoothen and whiten the Jins more I would think?
thanks for the feedback
cheers
Dave
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

glad you like it, ummm yeah sorry bout the pot but just trying to get a more feminine touch on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Antonio:
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Post by FlyBri »

Dave54 wrote:Every couple of years I cut back hard, but maybe should continually prune it short...
Gday Dave!

I'll throw my hat into the ring... I agree with comments regarding the thickness/lushness of the foliage: I would like to see more of the branching, as in the photo of the 'major haircut'.
Even wondering if the bottom right hand primary should go?????
Agreed on this too: it looks too heavy, as though it has grown in a hurry (which is not in keeping with the 'harsh climate' brief). I've done a nasty little virt, starting with the removal of the 1st branch, and attempting to open up the tree a little. I have referred to the haircut photo to try to follow the inner structure of the tree. The next thing you know, I've gotten a bit carried away and completely butchered your tree... :oops: My new foliage pads are very random, and are in need of further thinning, and I'm now not certain about having exposed the long, straight trunk above the major bend... Oh yeah - I made Pat's pot a little bit narrower too, just in case I hadn't caused enough trouble already. :shock:
Dave54_Juniper_Virt.jpg
Still, I think this is great progress in only 10 years. It is very clear that you don't mind making major changes to your trees, and I'll be interested to see what this tree's next incarnation is.

Thanks for posting, and for putting up with our critiques.

Fly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nil

Post by Dave54 »

Hi guys
thanks heaps for your efforts on photoshop.
I really can see this tree evolving into the last photo put up by Anttal, which is a combination of both of our thoughts.
Even though Fly's photo looks good as well, I feel that the abovementioned photo shows the tree off in my 3 main criteria:-
Balance, style and grace.
I am being pestered to make a comeback on the demonstration circuit, who knows, this tree might make a decent demo tree!
cheers
Dave

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”