Callitris Endlicheri- Black Cypress pine #2

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Callitris Endlicheri- Black Cypress pine #2

Post by alpineart »

This is another Callitris that needed a work over ,
SANY0079.JPG
and yes its a basic one at that .A quick trim
SANY0080.JPG
and a couple of slings for the bends then a very basic wire job
SANY0081.JPG
. To top it off i slip potted it into this custom re-cycled terracotta pot that was purchased with a large Spruce in it . Waste not want not , i just couldn't bring myself to smack the living daylights out of it to remove the Spruce .
SANY0088.JPG
Anyway another good looking trainer from a ratty looking Yamadori tree , it has a 40mm base and stands 900mm high .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dario
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines,Eng Elm,Cork Oak,Ash,Casuarina,Mels,Box..etc
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: Callitris Endlicheri- Black Cypress pine #2

Post by Dario »

Hi Alpine, nice work!
I am interested in this species and I have heard some reports that they can be tricky to collect. How long ago did you collect it and have you worked with Callitris before in terms of styling and developing into a bonsai, or is this the first time you have gotten to this stage with them?
Cheers, Dario.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Dario , these are difficult as far as i'm concerned . I collected around 30 of these , today only a handful survive .The appear to like neglect after collection , no water or ferts , the trunks i fussed over didn't come through .This tree was still in the original soil so it was slip potted and has had my bonsai blend added . This is 1 of 2 i have done in the last week , i have tried before but they can be very fickle .

I have a couple of nursery stock White Cypress Pines and they are growing really well . I have re-potted them into my bonsai mix last year and the are growing like weeds .I was inspired after meeting Pup and John Henry , thought i would get plugged into some rubbish laying around here , so this is one of the poor quality plants collected some time ago .As you can see plenty of die back lower down the trunk , this was alive when collected .

Cheers Alpine
Last edited by alpineart on May 18th, 2012, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Alpine,
Nice to see some (alive) Callitris on AUS BONSAI.I have a love/hate affair with these.I think my survival rate is worse than yours. My biggest problem is that all i collect have a bare patch (no bark) just above the roots. Have been trying Sphagnum Moss around one to see if this encourages the bark to grow. Any such problems with yours ?
Any intentions of root pruning next repot ? This is another time when i seem to lose plants. I let one sit for two years. As soon as i repotted ( November) and cut back a quarter of the roots the plant expired. Very frustating,thankfully there are millions in the Riverina .
Hope you have sucess with yours,
Cheers John.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Boom64, mate they hate me too. All the tree's i have collected are a mixed bag , the wallabies and rabbits love chewing the young bark so they can be found without the damage .This one is good the first tree was stripped as if a lightening strike , typical of wallabies .This one has a good fiberous root mass , i did a little trim but not too much . I bloody hope it survives that's for sure . I wont touch the roots again for another couple of seasons as i have lost too many working them over below the soil , hence the slip pot . .

Cheers Alpine
jehsiboi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by jehsiboi »

Id love to see an update on this one alpine. If you still have it.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Jehsiboi , sorry mate that was sold years ago , unfortunately I rarely get to see any updated pics of the material sold , be it members here or the general public .
I will continue to update old topics as trunks are sold unfortunately I haven't been in the right frame of mind and missed most of the recent sales trees . Family issues are taking up most of my time lately but I will try to commit and contribute when I can .

Cheers Ian

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”