Improving rubbish stock.

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Improving rubbish stock.

Post by Asus101 »

I unfortunatly paid for this a while back, its a dwarf form crepe myrtle. It had some wind an heat damage on the leaves from the hottest week in summer.

I have spent a great deal of time wondering how to improve it, and had been coming up against a brick wall.

I could cut it all the way back, and start again, but that's not fun... Still its a good last resort.

I could cut the long branch off and shorten the last two, but it still is taperless, and those branches are not in desirable position.

I could turn it into a raft. I would need to wire some of the cascading branches up so the sit flush, this would mean some wire damage, but nothing that would be too visible.With all the branches coming from the same line, it would lend itself well. As it is, there is a size difference in the branches as it goes down the branches, so it would fit.

I could remove the top two branches and re-pot at an angle to create a cascade, but the long branch is boring and long and impossible to add movement without cutting it to nothing and restarting.

I really like the raft, there is a Peter Adams drawing of one in a bonsai focus edition that I really like, so maybe its a good chance to give it ago. What's others thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Improving rubbish stock.

Post by Bretts »

Have you thought of cutting of all the branches and going for a broom. Maybe the leaves are to big for a mini?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

the species doesnt suit a broom and the leaves would be a bit too big for a broom of that size.
Milehigh_7
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that will grow in 46C+ and 5% humidity
Bonsai Age: 17

Post by Milehigh_7 »

Asus101 wrote:the species doesnt suit a broom and the leaves would be a bit too big for a broom of that size.

Not sure I agree about its unsuitability for broom. That is the natural growth habit of the tree and one of the things I love about them.

Here is a crappy pic I just took with my phone:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Milehigh_7 on May 7th, 2009, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

We have a lot of dwarf crepes that are all clump form. but I shall keep in mind.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”