Eugenia myrtifolia(Brush Cherry)

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
lennard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Rustenburg bonsai Kai

Eugenia myrtifolia(Brush Cherry)

Post by lennard »

Im not sure if they are native to Australia but I love this trees. They can take a lot of cutback and their leaves reduce well.

This Eugenia was previously grown as a Lollypop tree.

Any advice or comments or virts welcome.

PS: Can they take root pruning well and when?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lennard on June 16th, 2009, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
For information on African species and my progression in bonsai visit : http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspot.com/
FlyBri
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus camaldulensis
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai.com

Re: Eugenia myrtifolia(Brush Cherry)

Post by FlyBri »

lennard wrote:Im not sure if they are native to Australia but I love this trees. They can take a lot of cutback and their leaves reduce well... PS: Can they take root pruning well and when?
Gday Lennard!

I can't speak specifically about 'myrtifolia', but there are a number of Eugenias that are native to Australia. Along with Acmena, Syzigium and Waterhousea, they are lumped into a rather fuzzy group of trees known as 'Lilly Pillies'.

By and large, Lilly Pillies can be treated much the same as Ficus species, with quite similar results. They backbud readily, take well to grafting and cuttings/layering, and are highly tolerant of root pruning. Their natural enemy is frost. In my climate, I would only root prune from early spring until mid-autumn, when the danger of frost is minimal.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Fly.
lennard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Rustenburg bonsai Kai

Re: Eugenia myrtifolia(Brush Cherry)

Post by lennard »

FlyBri wrote:
lennard wrote:Im not sure if they are native to Australia but I love this trees. They can take a lot of cutback and their leaves reduce well... PS: Can they take root pruning well and when?
Gday Lennard!

I can't speak specifically about 'myrtifolia', but there are a number of Eugenias that are native to Australia. Along with Acmena, Syzigium and Waterhousea, they are lumped into a rather fuzzy group of trees known as 'Lilly Pillies'.

By and large, Lilly Pillies can be treated much the same as Ficus species, with quite similar results. They backbud readily, take well to grafting and cuttings/layering, and are highly tolerant of root pruning. Their natural enemy is frost. In my climate, I would only root prune from early spring until mid-autumn, when the danger of frost is minimal.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Fly.
Thanks for the information. What I have noticed from garden trees as well as my bonsai Eugenias are they are growing like mad in the cooler autumn/winter temperatures. The seeds shed in autumn germinated like hair on a dogs back and are also growing strongly.
For information on African species and my progression in bonsai visit : http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspot.com/

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”