first forrest

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all types
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: The South Australian Bonsai Society

first forrest

Post by Chris »

okay this little lot i got from queensland i had to take them out of the pot they where in to transport them back to sa, they have been in my hothouse for 2 weeks now and have started shooting new groth already.
it's a pitty there are only 4
okay some advice would be handy on wot to do with this lot
pic2.jpg
pic5.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chris on June 30th, 2009, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO TREE IS SAFE
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: first forrest

Post by Chris »

okay folks these are a Brazilian pepper tree.

i havent pulled them apart yet there just enjoying the hot house for the time being .

any help would be nice
NO TREE IS SAFE
Elias
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by Elias »

I think in order to do a forest one would need more than 4 trees, I would say at least 7 or 9 trees (odd numbers always make for a better ) for a forest, you could always do a clump of 3 and grow the other separately (maybe separate in warmer weather I think would be better).
Also I think you're gonna need to let these mature before you do anything, wait be patient and let the stock become something a bit more substantial.
The tree seems to be healthy so you have a good start, if you wanted to could do some wiring and start introducing some movement to the trees, although I would do wiring around spring let the tree grow and become vigorous before any work.

VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ, before attempting any work thanks:http://www.health.qld.gov.au/poisonsinf ... ertree.asp
Last edited by Elias on July 2nd, 2009, 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Marc »

Hi Loopeozzie, I think for a forrest, my opinion to to visualise how a small forrest would look. Larger trees in the middle representing older, more mature trees of the forrest, growing taller searching for light, shorter or smaller trees around the outside representing younger trees in the forrest. This is my image only, others may have a different idea. Then the idea is to have an odd number of trees, one of the Japanese rules for asthetics. Then arrange them in such a way as to look "natural", and preferably so that no tree blocks the view of another tree. Also below it appears that all are mounded quite high, not sure if this will be sustainable for such young trees as the soil will wash away easily when watered with very little root development around their base.

Elias, what little my opinion is worth, I think the young age fo trees is not overly important, i think it just depends on the sixe of the plantation you are after. I think youch trees can be suitable, arranged well and trimmed well...

Oh, another thing, remember that with trees in a forrest, the inner trees will be more sparse of foliage, less branches, the tree is spending more effort growing high to reach light, the outer trees will have more branches (growing outwards) and lower down branches.

For what you have here, I would say add at least one more tree to have 5 as a minimum. Otherwise 3 in a forrest might be too small, with one travelling solo.

That being said, When I drive to and from Geelong I notice groups of 2 or 3 or 4 peppercorns growing on the side of the roads with one or two dominant trees, and the others growing at radical angles and lines, absolutely complimenting the scene... :)

Feed, water etc as with your plants normal requirements... keep us posted how you go.
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Chris »

thanks for the info i will see if my freind in qld can find me one more to make a 5 set thanks for the info

i will take pics as i go.

i have wired a few branches and will leave it at that till i can find another

thanks again
NO TREE IS SAFE
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Chris »

okay ive wired up some lower branches and will just let it go from there still hunting down 1 or 3 more pepper trees
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NO TREE IS SAFE

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”