Desperate to Dashing - Exposed Root Olive

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Desperate to Dashing - Exposed Root Olive

Post by MelaQuin »

Another olive addict lightening his collection gave me this dig up olive because it 'looked like your sort of tree'. I'm not sure what that said about me but something about this strange apparition captured my imagination and I started on it. I got it in December 2006 and have been working it regularly since then. I am still working on thickening the foliage pads on the left side and the branch at the back left.

The tree bears the name 'Skimbleshanks' because I can see it striding across the paddocks Ent like. It is not a tree that pleasures many and the most frequent comment is to shove rocks under the roots. I can see what they are getting at but that would change the dynamics of the tree and I am not sure I want to do that. It will never be a popular choice because it is well outside the standard informal upright.

I will put it on my club benches when it fills out on the left and at the moment the foliage needs a tweek and a trim. But long may Skimbleshanks stride across my bonsai benches. He's walked a long way from the near naked stalk I was given and full thanks to my friend's generosity in thinking I could bring out something in this little collected trunk. We are getting there!! And No rocks!!
Skimbleshanks 2006-12.jpg
Skimbleshanks 2009-07.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all types
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: The South Australian Bonsai Society

Re: Desperate to Dashing - Exposed Root Olive

Post by Chris »

I love a tree that looks like it is running away :lol: great work
NO TREE IS SAFE
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Desperate to Dashing - Exposed Root Olive

Post by Bretts »

Nice work Lee but it is now progressing back the way it started :P
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”