Neglected Chinese Elm

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Re: Neglected Chinese Elm

Post by wrcmad »

I really appreciate the positive feed back! Very kind.
Pearcy001 wrote:Wow. I can't believe how much growth it has put on :worship:
Me neither! :shock:
I had a 5 year timeframe for developing the branch framework, as I wasn't going to take short cuts on this one. I wanted the branching to reflect the age of the trunk, which means a lot of cut'n'grow and usually takes some time. However, the rate of growth has been surprising to me too, and I have struggled to keep up at times.
I always suggest chinese elms to novices as the best learning species. They are nearly unkillable, and will give you 2 or 3 seasons of experience in just one season (as compared to say a maple).
Ryceman3 wrote:That makes that tree 100% yours. Look forward to the day I have something that great and can say the same. Just awesome... :tu2:
Propagate, propagate, propagate.... you never know what you will end up with in time. :)
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Amazing transformation in 12 months. From great trunk, to GREAT BONSAI well done :hooray:
Very inspirational.
Cheers
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wrcmad »

Update -
Exactly 12 months ago, I struck cuttings to thread graft a missing back branch to this tree. Cuttings were struck from this tree so the branch would be identical in characteristics.
The cuttings were struck at the end of Jan 2015, and here is the selected one in Aug 2015:
2016Feb5aa.jpg
The graft was threaded in October 2015. Because of the trunk thickness, the drill hole needed to travel around 100mm, so a 5mm diameter drill bit was necessary.
The pic below depicts the newly set thread graft. The entry and exit are marked.
The entry and exit were sealed with cut pasted and strapped with grafting tape to prevent movement.
2016Feb5ab.jpg
Here is a pic of the right-side of the tree showing the grafted branch today. It was let grow until now to thicken and encourage the graft to take.
This is around 3.5 months since the graft was first set:
2016Feb5a.jpg
Below is a close-up of the union (exit). The branch has swelled to 12mm thick and appears to have taken. A good clue to success is the diameter at the entry is still 6mm thick, so it has doubled it's thickness at the exit, and seems to be healing well at the exit.
2016Feb5b.jpg
The new branch is now around half it's intended final thickness, so some cut and grow needs to happen now to start developing taper and movement. There are about two months left of the chinese elm growing season here - enough time to grow some secondary extensions to this branch. Here is the cut, and the intended extension. I have left the removal of the original stock plant until a bit later, just to make sure.
2016Feb5c2.jpg
While I had the camera out I took a couple more happy snaps. Here is a pic of the underside of the first branch (right hand side) which is now about 20mm thick (and in need of a hair cut :palm: ). It is quite astounding how quickly the chinese elm can be grown and developed. Exactly 18 months ago, every branch on this tree did not exist - it was a bare stump. The red 'X' in this pic shows where the bud originated for this branch.
It is truly amazing how fast these things grow!
2016Feb5d.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wrcmad on February 5th, 2016, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homer911
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Homer911 »

WOW!! Great read.... [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] really enjoyed it. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Lovely explanation of thread grafting and the pics help to illustrate your methods perfectly! :tu: hope it all keeps going from here, no reason to think otherwise - very impressive tree and you are looking after it beautifully. Will keep reading each & every post for this one.
:beer:
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wrcmad »

Cheers guys. :)
Here is a before & after pic of the graft from a similar angle.
graft.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Black Knight
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai Inc

Post by Black Knight »

wrcmad,

Hi mate,

This be a rewarding effort for you from seed to this. :clap: Well done & all it needs is one of those Tokoname pots of yours, Good luck in finding a suitable one.

Regards,
Black Knight
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wrcmad »

Just a quick follow-up on this graft. :)

As mentioned previously, the graft was pruned back with enough time for secondary extensions to grow before dormancy. Here is the pic from about 8 weeks ago:
2016Feb5c2.jpg
It has now been around 7-8 weeks, and the secondary branches have extended to around 70cm, and still growing. This has ensured they now protruded far enough out from the branches above to be in full sunlight, and not shaded from above. Also, because of sufficient extension and growth, this grafted branch now has enough foliage (and light) to sustain itself through winter without risk of die-back. Here is a pic of the new growth:
graft1.jpg
So, the scion (parent stock) was cut this week, with no noticeable drawback - it is still powering along. :)
As mentioned before, chinese elms grow really fast - the parent stock for this branch was struck from a cutting only 14 months ago.
Here is a comparison pic with the one from February, showing the scion stub:
graft2.jpg
Progression has been fast enough that I think this tree will be OK to pot up in spring, and develop this last branch during next growing season (dependant on the other half of the chainsaw work required on the roots :? ). Fingers crossed. :)
Cheers

Oh, and PS to black knight..... I think I have found a suitable pot. :tu:
Last edited by wrcmad on April 1st, 2016, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaumatsu2
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, figs, maples, elms, azaleas
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast Tweed Bonsai Club

Post by Beaumatsu2 »

Wow this is truly amazing and has inspired me. You've done a fantastic job with this elm.

You branch pads are amazing. What kind of method do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Great outcome and skill with the graft and branch placement on the whole tree, trunk is powerful and foliage styling looks spot on,your tree is a picture wrcmad...cheers Anthony

ps Look forward to seeing it in a pot.
Sammy D
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Sammy D »

Well done. Your tree looks amazing. And in only a couple of short years. :-). The 25 odd years of trunk development was worth it. I would like you to go into more detail about the sentimental value of your beautiful tree though. I love stories :tu:. Nice tree wrcmad
A stick in a pot is better than no stick at all. Remember even the best bonsai started as a stick.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wrcmad »

Thank you all for your encouragement! I am chuffed. :)
Beaumatsu2 wrote:You branch pads are amazing. What kind of method do you use?
Thanks Beau.
I just use clip and grow with wiring when necessary on the sub-branching.
I am constantly clipping off shoots with a straight up or down direction, and using the lateral shoots to form pads.
What works for me is to clip at about half the desired final thickness. This seems to give fairly good taper. If you need to thicken more, elms lend themselves to thickening using foliage mass.
One thing I have learned over the years through experience, and by studying the Japanese branch structure (when I have had the opportunity) is to never underestimate the importance of foliage mass (energy balance) and exposure to sunlight (avoidance of shadowing).
Cheers.
Last edited by wrcmad on April 1st, 2016, 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by wrcmad »

Sammy D wrote: I would like you to go into more detail about the sentimental value of your beautiful tree though. I love stories :tu:. Nice tree wrcmad
Thanks.

OK ... long story short. ;)

When I was about 12 or 13 years old, I used to frequent a bonsai nursery in Strathfield - Bonsai Barker, run by George Stockton. Growing up in the southern suburbs of Sydney, it was the only bonsai nursery I could get to using public transport (trains). Being a young kid, he used to really look after me, and load me up with discounts and freebies every time I visited. He really had a lot of time and patience for young people like myself, loved to teach me all he could, and was extremely helpful and encouraging.

He had a huge old chinese elm overhanging his nursery, and on one visit it happened to be dropping seeds - thousands of them! While ogling some of his own elms, and chatting to him about how he grew them, he ran off to his pot shed, grabbed a plastic bag and enthusiastically started filling it with handfuls of elm seeds. He said to me, "Here! Plant these when you get home, and in a few years you'll have lots of trees to work on! You never know what you'll have in years to come!" Needless to say, I planted the seeds in a seed tray, and up came hundreds of seedling chinese elms.

Meanwhile, over the few years I had become interested in bonsai, my dad had been watching (with a very curious interest) what I was doing with the nursery stock I had acquired at home. My dad was a fairly hard-working tradesman, quite a "cool" dad, quite unrefined, with definitely no grace, but he was like my best mate. He would say he thought bonsai was great, but that he would never know what to do with a tree, and had no idea of the techniques involved. However, one day he was flicking through a bonsai magazine I had on the coffee table, and he spotted a broom-style elm. With a glint in his eye, he said to me, pointing at the picture... "Hey, is this a bonsai style?".
Yes dad, it is called a broom-style.
"I reckon I could make one of those! Have you got a spare plant I could make one of those with?"
As a matter of fact, I have heaps of seedling elms on my shelves... that's the type of tree they use in that picture.
"Great! would it be alright if I have one!?"
No problems... they are small though.
"That's OK! I want to have a go at growing one of these."

From the whole tray of seedlings, he selected just one single plant to begin his broom-style journey, and planted it up into a 16 inch nursery pot. And he tended it, and looked after his pride and joy.

Fast-forward about 5 years. By this time, my bonsai interest had waned, as girls, surfing, beer and parties had become more of a priority for me. He called me over in the yard one day, and asked me what he should do next to his tree. By this stage it had become a topiary lollypop, with a stick trunk about 2 feet high, and a ball-shaped mass of foliage about 1.5 feet across. :shock: Unable to break his spirit, instead I just told him he needed to keep it trimmed, as it was getting out of control. Not much help to the poor guy, but I wasn't very interested at the time, and sort of saw it as a lost cause anyway. Over the next few years, school had finished and I had moved out of home, and was progressing through university.

Fast-forward another 5 years. Visiting mum and dad one day when dad asked me to again take a look at his tree (my first thought was "holy crap! This thing must still be alive!"). Dad had not only continued to tend to his beloved broom-style elm, he had attempted to keep my collection going over the years too - hoping deep down inside that I'd return to the hobby. Not many of my trees survived the lack of water during in overseas holidays, and all the other elm seedlings had long-gone. One look at his broom, and it was clear that the tree was a disaster! The ball-shaped foliage mass had grown so large and dense that the thin, straight trunk had bent under the weight. :shock: The tree was now leaning to one side in an arc, and a leader had emerged from the upper side of the ball and started growing vigorously. The initial bent lollypop is still very evident in the first bend of the trunk, and the lollypop outline is depicted in red below. The emerging leader is depicted in yellow.
history.jpg
Scratching my head, I told him it would no longer be a broom-style, and that I wasn't sure what could be done. Disappointed and a little dejected, he packed it in my car and asked me to take it and do something with it. WTF was I going to do with it? By this time, I had settled down with my wife-to-be, and had taken what was left of my collection home to care for again, and had started building up a few stock plants etc. I got dad's tree home, and placed it in the back corner of the yard... where it stayed for years.

Eventually, I had to move house, and this damn tree of dad's was still alive! I had to prune it to fit it in the car... and this was the first trunk chop at the area of the foliage ball where the yellow leader emerged. It had now been 15 years without a repot, and had not been cared for over the last 5 years.

The next house move (about another 5 years later), and this thing was still neglected, and still living! Dad had stopped asking about it by now... I guess he was sick of the blank looks he recieved from me. :( But somehow I couldn't let it go. It required a second trunk chop to fit it in the car (this time at the top of the yellow leader in the above pic). Getting to my new place, I looked at it with guilt.... 20 years without a repot, and this tree was still hanging in there! So I gave it it's first repot, and promptly put it in the back corner of the yard, and forgot about it.

Fast forward another 8 years (total 28 years) - and this is where this thread started. Walking past it one day, I finally saw some potential... and the rest is history.

This tree will ALWAYS remind me of dad. :) It's features of strength and power, with good character, maybe a little rough around the edges, with a few kinks, but an absolute survivor, fits so well with my dad that it is nearly like the tree took on HIS characteristics. It is a truly sentimental tree to me, that will always mean "dad".

I'd love to be able to show George the long-term results of his generosity and inspiration. :)

Cheers
Last edited by wrcmad on April 1st, 2016, 10:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
M.J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Various
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by M.J »

Now that is a very worthwhile story and fantastic to see the tree come to life as it was meant to. :cool:
Theodore
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Larch
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: Albury Wodonga Bonsai Society

Post by Theodore »

What a history! That is absolutely amazing. A tree like that is worth more than all the bonsai in Japan IMO!

You are blessed to have a tree with such a personal connection!

Theo

Sent from somewhere on planet earth using an iPad!

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”