JBP#1 [Ryceman3]

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Re: JBP#1 [Ryceman3]

Post by Raging Bull »

Very nice tree, R3. Excellent job, I wish I was up to your level. Tho' I would have liked to see you retain the nice nebari the tree had before potting.
Cheers, Frank
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

The tree is developing very nicely, the trunk is strong. tapers well, full of muscle therefore the pot is not correct for me it is not deeper enough and too feminine, rectangle with strong sides with time to me would suit better..but that is just me :2c:

Ryan if I could recommend a fantastic site to see majestic pines and pots for you and Tim beautiful maples a little visit to the site called bonsai master through fb if your not already visiting dare I say....obvious enjoying the age and quality of tree but also learning pot and depth with style and thickness etc...of tree

cheers Anthony
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

anthonyW wrote: August 18th, 2019, 9:21 pm The tree is developing very nicely, the trunk is strong. tapers well, full of muscle therefore the pot is not correct for me it is not deeper enough and too feminine, rectangle with strong sides with time to me would suit better..but that is just me :2c:
cheers Anthony
I think you are right Anthony. I spent quite a bit of time potting this tree, I actually did it twice (I took photos after the first time and realised it was not where I thought it could be so went back for another go at it). Much happier with the second effort (angle/position) but I was again thinking after I took pictures today... “Where is the hmmpf”??
Maybe (I thought) this is just a tree I can’t accurately portray in images. The photos of it never look as good as the real thing. Or maybe I’m not giving it the chance it deserves.
I definitely began my pot search thinking a rectangular pot would be the go... I even made a CAD model of what I wanted (because professionally that is what I do). But with my need to repot or wait another year and my lack of confidence in pot selection I ended up with the above.
Don’t get me wrong, I think it is a vast improvement on the plastic, but I can see this is not the final pot for this tree ... but it is the pot it gets for now - and I’ll be satisfied until next time! Combining trees and pots is the next thing I need to work on. I understand aesthetic and design principles, probably best I apply my knowledge and implement it to get better tree and pot combos. Everybody will have different interpretations... gotta go with what makes sense to you in the end. I can live with this pot until it’s time to re-evaluate.
:beer:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Raging Bull wrote: August 18th, 2019, 8:17 pm Very nice tree, R3. Excellent job, I wish I was up to your level. Tho' I would have liked to see you retain the nice nebari the tree had before potting.
Cheers, Frank
Hi Frank,
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like the tree. 90% of the nebari is still there - maybe the photo doesn't highlight it as much. I did remove a large root that was on the base on the right hand side. It was coming out pretty much horizontal, which was a bit extreme for the planting angle I wanted and it was in fact dead. There is another root directly under it that will replace it as it develops in a year or so which I think is on a much nicer angle. I took some quick snaps of the base this morning - here they are!
IMG_4635.jpg
IMG_4636.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Not that it matters too much, but I actually don't mind the pot. Your trunk line seems to display some subtle curvature which I think is reflected in the current pots shape.
Even though its a JBP, personally I don't see this tree as being masculine at all... :lost:
鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Korean Bonsai Association

Post by 鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai »

TimS wrote: August 18th, 2019, 8:07 pm Sensational micchorizal growth there
If the fungus is happy the pine is happy
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: August 19th, 2019, 5:11 pm Not that it matters too much, but I actually don't mind the pot. Your trunk line seems to display some subtle curvature which I think is reflected in the current pots shape.
Even though its a JBP, personally I don't see this tree as being masculine at all... :lost:
Agree with that KC&R. This is not a super masculine JBP... which are known as a masculine tree. (Fat trunks, compact foliage with large pads etc...)
The pot I had in mind was rectangular, but with softer corners which I thought would help to compliment the more feminine nature of this pine. This pot (which I like quite a bit) is not that, but sometimes you compromise depending on availability and I felt fine going down the repot with this pot. If/when I do change the pot over, I hope to have plenty of other contenders waiting to get their roots in it! :P :yes:
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Ryceman3 wrote: August 19th, 2019, 7:56 pm softer corners which I thought would help to compliment the more feminine nature of this pine.
"va va voom!" 8-)
鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Korean Bonsai Association

Post by 鸕盆栽 Gamauji Bonsai »

Ryceman3 wrote: August 19th, 2019, 7:56 pm
Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: August 19th, 2019, 5:11 pm Not that it matters too much, but I actually don't mind the pot. Your trunk line seems to display some subtle curvature which I think is reflected in the current pots shape.
Agree with that KC&R. This is not a super masculine JBP... which are known as a masculine tree. (Fat trunks, compact foliage with large pads etc...)
The pot I had in mind was rectangular, but with softer corners which I thought would help to compliment the more feminine nature of this pine. This pot (which I like quite a bit) is not that, but sometimes you compromise depending on availability and I felt fine going down the repot with this pot. If/when I do change the pot over, I hope to have plenty of other contenders waiting to get their roots in it! :P :yes:
Wait until you fall in love with the feminine red pines. You won't be able to go back to black pines....trust me.
Red pines all the way just make sure you speak nicely to them.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Just a quick mid-spring update pic with the new growth extending nicely. On track for another decandling session this year.
JBP01_1019_01.jpg
JBP01_1019_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Friday the 13th ... as good a time as any for a decandle on a JBP...
JBP01-1219_01.jpg
JBP01-1219_02.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Finished off the Autumn work for this pine today. Started off outside but weather forced me indoors so unfortunately the “before” and “after” pics aren’t in the same spot, but you get the idea. I have tilted the tree a tad more forward in the “after” pic which I think might be the angle I repot at next time around. Happy with the needle reduction and internodal length. I’ll be looking to replicate this result in subsequent decandling over the coming years and build ramification. There’s a few rogue needles on buds I’m looking to develop, but these will be brought into line as they develop. It’s moving forward, but I have areas I’m looking at to make it even better.
9E1744C0-D191-47DE-9C35-59D1063684D0.jpeg
ED14CB7B-37D4-413D-AEE6-1A5F6236621D.jpeg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

I had been thinking twice about repotting this tree but I had noticed it was becoming increasingly difficult to water in terms of percolation ... the water just wasn't penetrating so I was convinced I needed to do it.
JBP01_0820_02.jpg
JBP01_0820_03.jpg
JBP01_0820_04.jpg
Should be right for another year now.
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

Root structure looks very very nice. You're doing very well with this little tree! :clap:
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
Rolf
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers, Natives, Elms
Bonsai Age: 32
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop Inc Perth WA, BSWA Perth WA

Post by Rolf »

Very healthy growth there and excellent mycorrhiza!! Well done Ryceman3 :tu: :tu:
I also like the design.
Cheers
Rolf
Nature does always better! ;)

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”