JBP#3 [Ryceman3]

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

JBP#3 [Ryceman3]

Post by Ryceman3 »

This is a separate progression thread for the black pine I took along to the workshop with Ryan Neil at the Bonsai Masters
I liked the direction we went on through the workshop, very happy with the overall vibe of the tree, I just had one thing that was bugging me - and today I decided to give it a tweak.
The two images below are just to show how the raw stock presented at the workshop and the result after the work done on the day.
IMG_4860B.jpg
IMG_1713B.jpg

And here it is today (a few different views) before I did anything to it ...
RNJBP_front01.jpg
RNJBP_left01.jpg
RNJBP_right01.jpg
I include the left and right views because from these you can really see how the branch/trunk extends out and pretty much straight back, away from the viewer which made me uneasy - I think it needed some resolution. I have pondered what to do (if anything) but today I decided to do something with it because I just couldn't leave it as it was. I had tried to get a bend with wire but I really needed to close the junction at the crotch in order to improve the angle and wire alone wasn't going to do it.
RNJBP_branch junction01.jpg
I'd come to the conclusion I would rather lose it trying to rectify it rather than live with it so here is what I did ... a wedge cut.
As a bit of a "safety measure" I secured a bit of rebar to the base of the trunk and along the main branch line in order to give myself something to pull to if the existing wire that had been applied wasn't going to be enough to get closure. And then I got out the saw ...
RNJBP_wedge01.jpg
RNJBP_wedge02.jpg
RNJBP_wedge03.jpg
And here is how it looks once all was complete :
RNJBP_front02.jpg
RNJBP_left02.jpg
RNJBP_right02.jpg
I'm much happier with these angles. :yes:

And now the waiting game begins ... what are my plans you ask?
Most likely only somebody with moronic tendencies would contemplate possible decandling this summer, so naturally (for me) I am considering it. I'll see how it recovers and pushes growth over the next few months, but if it doesn't skip a beat that would definitely be an option. Otherwise I'll let it go and reassess where it is at in Autumn. In the meantime I'll be watching it like a hawk!
:beer:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snipz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: JBP#3 [Ryceman3]

Post by Snipz »

Open branch surgery 101; brilliant! :cool:
Snipz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Snipz »

Open branch surgery 101; brilliant! :cool:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Snipz wrote: September 24th, 2019, 3:42 pm Open branch surgery 101; brilliant! :cool:
Cheers Snipz ... it'll only be brilliant if the branch survives - otherwise it just becomes a new opportunity for a slightly different design direction ... :whistle:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I admire your posts R3. The care you take with both words and photos to describe what you are doing is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Mark
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

The branch survived, and actually went nuts so decandling this year was a no-brainer I am happy to say ...
RN_JBP-1219_01.jpg
RN_JBP-1219_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Wait for it....
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Sorry, actually posted this yesterday but there was something weird going on with the post (duplicate images/text in random spots etc...) so I cleared it off and am re-posting now, hopefully this works a bit better :

Had another look at this tree today and it seemed like a good time to get stuck into some Autumn work given the new growth that had developed since decandling in December had now hardened.
I thought initially I'd just cut back to two shoots per junction and then thin needles, pretty standard, but as I got looking at the tree I got to thinking...
I like this tree, but it’s got flaws - no doubt (to be honest, all my trees do). I went with the principle
“Look to improve your tree each time you work on it”
Without making some design decisions and wiring it out I kinda felt like I was doing maintenance rather than improving.
So here’s a look at some of the stuff I did ...
JBP04_02 0420.jpg
The second flush on this tree was pretty hectic. There were some cut sites with 9+ shoots! It was crazy.... lots of budding, like below ...
JBP04_02A 0420.jpg
Which got cut back to the image below ...
JBP04_02B 0420.jpg
That is pretty standard stuff. But then I looked a bit deeper at the structure, and stuff like this was making me a bit ... MEH.
JBP04_02C 0420.jpg
The branch I’m holding was giving some pretty crucial length to one of the mid branches on the left. But look at it. It’s essentially straight, no taper and the branching off it was mostly down one side and a bit uninspiring. I could leave it, and try and build around it, or...
JBP04_02D 0420.jpg
Cut it back, bend the remaining branch around and introduce some movement and taper which (in a few years time to be sure) will, I think, be a superior set up.
I did similar cuts in 2 other places and wired out the majority of the tree to lay out the structure how I think it looks best. I’m satisfied that I moved this tree forward today ... and that is the aim.
Here’s how the day finished ...
JBP04_03 0420.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Decandled this pine today ... it's the second go at it. If I get similar results to last year then I'll be happy. Lots of strong growth, I think a repot into a bonsai container at the end of next winter will be a good idea to help slow down the vigour and really get the refinement on track.
JBP-RN_2.jpg
JBP-RN_.jpg
JBP-RN_3.jpg
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

This JBP got a bit of a work out this morning. It's a fun time of the year for pines! I went for another re-wire and really cranked to get a few more bends where I felt it was getting away a bit ... a bit happier now with how it is shaping up.
JBP-RN AB_2.jpg
JBP-RN AB_3.jpg
JBP-RN AB_1.jpg
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Nice work again Ryan.

I like how you've taken your pictures from the same reference point each time. Really shows clearly the work done.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

Always a big day when you go from plastic to clay ... it brings an instant change in the perception of a tree (for me anyway).
Happy to be able to move this one over this afternoon.
Probably could have put this in Jow's repotting thread - but wanted to keep this progression updated ... I'll have to think of something else to contribute there!
JBP-RN AB_2.jpg
JBP-RN AB_1.jpg
JBP-RN AB_3.jpg
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

Ryceman3 wrote: August 15th, 2021, 3:51 pm Always a big day when you go from plastic to clay
I know that feeling. All the years of hard work pays off when you place the tree into a clay vessel. Well done mate tree is rocking :tu:
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryceman3 »

This was my first JBP to get decandled this year ... a couple of days ago. The repot didn't set it back in terms of growth and it was more than healthy enough to undertake the procedure after gaining a lot of growth and really beefing up over the spring period.
Growing well.
JBP-Dec IG_2.jpg
JBP-Dec IG_1.jpg

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”