Atlas Cedar: thoughts and feedback?

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Harshadg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus atlantica
Bonsai Age: 2

Atlas Cedar: thoughts and feedback?

Post by Harshadg »

Being new around here, I thought I should share my nursery stock in training to get feedback, and maybe avoid screwups. This is a (much harassed - note the browning of some needles) Atlas Cedar I got a few months ago. With hindsight being 20/20, I might have styled it differently, but I don't hate it as it is. I just don't think it looks very cedar-like. More like a cedar pretending to be a pine.

I appreciate any thoughts on this styling that may improve the design.

Pics here (and attached): https://imgur.com/gallery/hIndMia
Cheers,
Harshad
Photo May 20, 11 02 34 AM copy.jpg
Photo May 20, 11 02 27 AM copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Atlas Cedar: thoughts and feedback?

Post by shibui »

Don't be too hard on your early attempts. I think you've made a great start.
While the natural shape for older cedars is flat top that's for trees growing in good conditions. There must be many trees growing in more inhospitable spots on exposed slopes or higher in the mountains that are forced into windswept or cascading styles. Many of the best bonsai cedars I have seen are windswept or cascade shapes.
One of the issues I see is the 2 main trunks competing for attention. IMHO bonsai look far better when one is dominant so the viewers know where to look. Decide whether this tree is cascading or upright and reduce the other leader to a much smaller trunk.
Your biggest issues with this tree will be the very slow growth rate and the time it takes to set into the shape you've chosen.
It will be a long term project so just keep at it.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harshadg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Harshadg »

Thanks for the reply shibui. The main reason I've kept both trunks as long as they are is because in my initial wiring attempt I ran the wire between the crotch (instead of around it) and subsequently introduced a tear there. I wasn't sure how bad the damage was and whether the tree would still make it. It seems to be doing okay - except for the browning of the needles. It looks like both trunks will survive - the rip was a couple of months ago. For now I think I will just let it grow and learn how to introduce ramification in this.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Harshadg wrote: May 21st, 2020, 8:41 am Thanks for the reply shibui. The main reason I've kept both trunks as long as they are is because in my initial wiring attempt I ran the wire between the crotch (instead of around it) and subsequently introduced a tear there. I wasn't sure how bad the damage was and whether the tree would still make it. It seems to be doing okay - except for the browning of the needles. It looks like both trunks will survive - the rip was a couple of months ago. For now I think I will just let it grow and learn how to introduce ramification in this.
I find that if you ''forget about'' the tree for a while, a solution you may not have thought of will present itself down the road. It's difficult to predict what you cedars will do so just let it do what it wants. Take the wire off as soon as growth starts. I have ruined more than one tree by forgetting the wire. They scar very badly and very quickly.
In other words....Let the tree speak to you, but don't listen to it for at least a year. :lol:
Mike
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

In other words....Let the tree speak to you, but don't listen to it for at least a year.
Apart from when it is crying out for you to get the bloody wire off :!:
The main reason I've kept both trunks as long as they are is because in my initial wiring attempt I ran the wire between the crotch (instead of around it) and subsequently introduced a tear there. I wasn't sure how bad the damage was and whether the tree would still make it. It seems to be doing okay - except for the browning of the needles. It looks like both trunks will survive - the rip was a couple of months ago. For now I think I will just let it grow and learn how to introduce ramification in this.
You asked for feedback based on the photos given then when response is given you appear to reject it and tell us you've already decided to leave it as is :lost:

I understand about leaving both trunks as insurance, especially after some damage of unknown severity. I often do the same. Sometimes when I have 2 options I can't pick between, sometimes just to add some growth and vigour to the tree. I rarely make decisions on the future of such immature trees because they change so much as they grow the options just keep changing.
Like Mike said, just let it grow and see what appears.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harshadg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Harshadg »

I'm not rejecting the feedback - I was merely explaining my thought process. I'm always happy to receive constructive feedback from experts.

In time, in alignment with what you said, I am sure that I will have to make an aesthetic decision. In the meanwhile, considering what this tree has been through, I felt it best to leave it in the best state so that it emerges strong in spring - hence the 'let it grow' bit.

Again, thanks for the advice.
nathan987
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by nathan987 »

Harshadg wrote:I'm not rejecting the feedback - I was merely explaining my thought process. I'm always happy to receive constructive feedback from experts.

In time, in alignment with what you said, I am sure that I will have to make an aesthetic decision. In the meanwhile, considering what this tree has been through, I felt it best to leave it in the best state so that it emerges strong in spring - hence the 'let it grow' bit.

Again, thanks for the advice.
I think that’s a sound approach when you know that you’ve damaged the tree a little, especially if you weren’t sure at the time whether you wanted to keep both trunks or which one to remove.

Ignore the over-sensitivity - we’re all going a bit COVID stir-crazy.

If you’re now committed to losing one of them (which I would do, as recommended above), there’s no harm making that decision sooner rather than later. Your chop will leave a scar at about the position that you currently have your tear. Cutting it sooner rather than later will give it more healing time. Dormant season over the end of Autumn and through Winter is a good time to make such chops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”