Been a custodian of trees

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Been a custodian of trees

Post by Matthew »

I see myself as merely a custodian of many of my trees . A lot were not started by myself and some have gone through several owners in there current lifetime. Our lifetime is but a fraction of some bonsai however bonsai cannot look after themselves so it falls on there "careers" to provide both health and direction of there trees.
Bonsai can be very subjective like art and what someone likes another may not. Many of my trees are influenced by the styling of many Japanese trees and in the late nineties when I was taught that was just the influence of the time.
I have included a few of my favourite trees that are both quite large and quite old now. These trees are significant to me as it was there former owner that got me into this wonderful hobby and ignited the passion. I hope I have done them some justice in the last 15 years ive had them. I haven't changed the original style of either , the trees have just matured more and given me plenty of joy.

large formal upright deodar cedar that was started late 70s'
20200521_073449_resized.jpg
To date
20200521_072912_resized.jpg
20200521_072836_resized.jpg
A large African olive age unknown wild collected
20200521_073500_resized.jpg
20200521_072739_resized.jpg
20200521_072746_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

Re: Been a custodian of trees

Post by paul smedley »

Matthew, nothing more to say than Beautiful.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Been a custodian of trees

Post by TimS »

Totally agree Matthew, I’ve got a 60 year old JM that at one time was in shows but got overgrown, then was cut back aggressively to try to regrow. I found it looking worse for wear and decided though it absolutely wasn’t worth the price, it was worth saving.

It was in poor health when I got it, and had an emergency repor out of season to save it, and the following year was just spent letting it grow and regain health. Even though it feels like many years or even the majority of my custodianship will be spend rebuilding it, it will be saved for future enjoyment by someone
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”