First Trident Maple Forest (Beau)

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Beau
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, maples
Bonsai Age: 2

First Trident Maple Forest (Beau)

Post by Beau »

There's so many great forest progressions on here so I thought I'd throw another in the mix and start documenting this one.
Its my first trident maple group, there are 31 trees all up all of which are Shibui bare rooted seedlings bought this winter (many thanks Neil)
Roots all given a good trim before potting and potted in equal parts Osmocote cacti/succ mix, 5mm scoria and debco coarse grit.
Advice and criticism welcomed
Bring on spring!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Beau
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: First Trident Maple Forest (Beau)

Post by Beau »

And the finished product displayed on an elegant stand
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

This has a lot of great potential Beau, nice job of placement and layout. I think it looks "authentic" and already has a nice feel to it. The stand needs work, but you're not the first and you won't be the last to go down that path!
Overall it is a great effort, good structural setup for future development, very nice.
:yes:
Beau
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beau »

Thanks Ryceman3,
Placement was definitely more challenging than I expected it to be, my only other group has 7 trees and was a walk in the park in comparison, im sure there's much better techniques out there but I ended up making a halo with wire to hold them all in a general shape and stop them from falling over while I arranged them, chaos but it worked.
The stand has been replaced, mostly so I can take the bins out but space is an issue :whistle:
Beau
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beau »

Well that didn't take long
20200816_081413_copy_2056x2741.jpg
20200816_081424_copy_1512x2016.jpg
Beau
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beau »

Exciting times, spring is in full force and everything is coming to life in my small garden, all except 1 of the 31 tridents in this group (there's always 1 haha) after pondering on how it will look without it i decided to remove it rather than waiting to see if it was a late bloomer because I feel that it improves it, distinguishing the gap between the two groups.
20200906_182958_copy_1330x1773.jpg
At the site of the tap root being cut (which i think i went a bit hack with on this one) there seems to be a white fungus/mold growing, not sure if its something to be worried about or if its just because the tree was dying? Not sure
20200906_134921_copy_2268x3024.jpg
Please excuse the poor photos/backdrop I'll take some better ones when it has leafed out in a couple weeks, these are with the tree removed
20200906_135130_copy_1360x1813.jpg
20200906_135144_copy_1270x1693.jpg
20200906_135205_copy_1663x2217.jpg
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

That white fungus looks like micorrhizae to me, it's beneficial to the tree. If you've still got the tree try re-planting it in it's own pot. I have a maple forest and they opened their buds at various times.
Looks like a good successful planting, but with so many trees so close together you may find they will get a bit crowded in a couple of years. There's also a lot of competition for nutrients, so keep the fertilizers up to them.
Cheers, Frank.
Beau
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beau »

Cheers for the feedback, I did happen to stick it in a pot just in case, I didn't think of micorrhizae i guess I just associate it with pines, guess we'll find out.
I can definitely see how it is going to be overcrowded by looking at some of the trident forests on here and reading about how vigorous they are, its going to be a learning experience.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”