Chinese Elm Progression

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Chinese Elm Progression

Post by Raging Bull »

I thought it was about time for me to show a progression instead of always asking questions.
I purchased this starter Chinese Elm almost 3 years ago from the now sadly closed Red Dragon Bonsai Nursery at Currumbin. It was just in a black bag and had been hedged but not shaped. I think it was about 3 years old at time of purchase.
2017.01.26 e .jpg
I looked at it for a couple of weeks before starting to clean it up and put some wire on the branches.
2017.02.07 2e.jpg
It was potted into a deep grow pot in August 2017 and I toyed with the idea of making it into a semi cascade.
2017.08.08 e.JPG
After looking at it leaning like that for half a year I came to the conclusion that it just didn't look right and replanted it upright.
2018.03.13 01e.JPG
From then on I only pruned it back when needed and let the branches develop.
2018.06.18 03e.JPG
In September this year I repotted it into a bonsai pot.
2020.09.23 01e.JPG
By then the nebari showed signs of developing quite nicely too.
2020.09.23 03e.JPG
The last pic is from today after a recent light prune to encourage ramification.
2020.12.05 e.JPG
The aim now is to keep it at about this size and develop the structure and shape.
I hope this has been of interest and welcome any comments or criticism that may help to improve this tree.
Cheers, Frank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Chinese Elm Progression

Post by Watto »

Nice progression.
I would expect a photo next year, then the year after and so on, oh please. (My mother would be so proud I was polite)
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alex_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Chinese Elm Progression

Post by Alex_B »

That's a very nice elm. The trunk is a good size and I like the bends you have put into it. I'm interested to see how this develops further.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”