Myrtle shohin progression

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Brekel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tas natives
Bonsai Age: 2

Myrtle shohin progression

Post by Brekel »

I thought I'd put up a thread with a progression on this little tree so I can see where it's come from., where it goes, and get any thoughts or ideas.

It is the first tree I bought, almost exactly 2 years ago. It didn't progress much the first year as I initially didn't know much and also underfed it. But the other day I saw an older photo, and realised how much it has progressed over the last year.

Apparently it was originally dug from a roadside. Tas myrtles (Nothofagus cunninghamii) have been my favourite tree since I started bushwalking in my teens. So when I saw this one in the nursery, even though it was untrained, it appealed to me. Plus, it was a lot cheaper than the trained ones and I didn't want to outlay too much on my first tree 'till I saw how I'd go with it.
20181215_141118.jpg
2019_02_16.jpg
2019_10_13 (1).jpg
2020_01_17.jpg
2020_03_28.jpg
2020_05_24.jpg
2020_10_21.jpg
2020_12_06.jpg
2020_12_12.jpg

I trimmed a few of the newer shoots today, but I'll leave it to grow a bit more before tidying it up further.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nothofagus-Melaleuca-Leptospermum-Lagarostrobos-Cedrus-Acer
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Myrtle shohin progression

Post by Watto »

Sometimes we are a little to hard on our trees but when you see a number of photos over time the changes are really obvious. Good progression so far.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Progressions are good for everyone, they give others an idea of how development can occur and how to go about getting it (or not... depending on whether it’s progression or regression, but both are valuable when learning)... and they are great for the person posting to keep track of their tree.
Win/win.
Always like to see the work other people are up to, thanks for the post and don’t forget to update!
:beer:
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

Looks like you're on the right track towards making a very nice little tree. I look forward to more progression posts to come. Keep it up!
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”