Banksia Serrata - Western Australia

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Banksia Serrata - Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

Thought I would start a progression thread for this Banksia Serrata I am growing here in WA.

I bought this as nursery stock March 2022. So far just growing and cutting back to thicken trunk and develop taper. Out of the nursery mix and into my mix and shallower terracotta pot late winter this year. Lots of options for this. I am loving growing the species so far.
Screenshot_20231029_141322_Gallery.jpg
September 2022
Screenshot_20231029_141951_Gallery.jpg
Around December 2022
Screenshot_20231029_142424_Gallery.jpg
October 2023 after some free growth following repot
Screenshot_20231029_142506_Gallery.jpg
October 2023 cut back ready to grow again.
Screenshot_20231029_142538_Gallery.jpg
Different angle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Banksia Serrata - Western Australia

Post by Ryceman3 »

You’ve got some pretty nice stuff developing Patmet, both native and otherwise… enjoying the development/progression posts! :tu:
:beer:
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Kevin »

Hello Patmet,

This Banksia is developing nicely for you in your area. The distinctive trunk roll that's characteristic with Banksia has started and is looking great on this little tree.

I love our natives and the trees from your collection which you have posted recently have always been in exceptional growth and style, I know you have had a few hiccups, but overall your trees have responded exceptionally to your care and location.

Which brings me to a question I ask myself every time I read you have just re-potted a tree and it's in the middle of Winter or in this instance you re-potted this tree in late Winter. Are the Winter months in your area (which I presume is around Albany WA) mild? I looked at Albany's latitude and you are just a tad further south than my location, closely aligning with the latitude of Canberra.

Over on the Eastern states the sage advice for the past several decades is to work and repot natives in the warmer months, with the minimum temperatures at or above 15 degrees. In Winter just past we had many a night with below 0 temperatures and Canberra had nearly every night below Zero. It's only around now that I plan to do some re-potting.

I know your coastal, but obviously your trees don't seem to mind, actually they thrive with your care. What are your Winters like :?:

Sorry for the long winded question. But I'm interested in this theory "repot natives only in the warmer months".

Thanks,

Kevin
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

Kevin wrote: October 30th, 2023, 1:35 pm Hello Patmet,

This Banksia is developing nicely for you in your area. The distinctive trunk roll that's characteristic with Banksia has started and is looking great on this little tree.

I love our natives and the trees from your collection which you have posted recently have always been in exceptional growth and style, I know you have had a few hiccups, but overall your trees have responded exceptionally to your care and location.

Which brings me to a question I ask myself every time I read you have just re-potted a tree and it's in the middle of Winter or in this instance you re-potted this tree in late Winter. Are the Winter months in your area (which I presume is around Albany WA) mild? I looked at Albany's latitude and you are just a tad further south than my location, closely aligning with the latitude of Canberra.

Over on the Eastern states the sage advice for the past several decades is to work and repot natives in the warmer months, with the minimum temperatures at or above 15 degrees. In Winter just past we had many a night with below 0 temperatures and Canberra had nearly every night below Zero. It's only around now that I plan to do some re-potting.

I know your coastal, but obviously your trees don't seem to mind, actually they thrive with your care. What are your Winters like :?:

Sorry for the long winded question. But I'm interested in this theory "repot natives only in the warmer months".

Thanks,

Kevin
No worries Kevin. Yes I am in Albany on the southern coast which is classified as a "warm mediterranean" climate, characterized by warm dry summers and cool wet winters. It is generally very mild here. We don't often get extremes in temperatures both hot and cold. Maybe this is why I can successfully repot in winter but I think a lot of it also comes down to the species, the health, the age of the tree, and aftercare. I am still very much experimenting with what gives me the best results though.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

Took this to a little workshop with my local club today. It's been on my list to get some movement going in the branches before they get too thick, so I was happy to get that done today.

There is a bar section with the two lowest branches, that I will pick one or the other to keep later. For now I'm happy to just let them both keep thickening the trunk.

Going for a many branched up and out natural style with this one.
Screenshot_20240121_182829_Gallery.jpg
Before
Screenshot_20240121_182921_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240121_182840_Gallery.jpg
After
Screenshot_20240121_182848_Gallery.jpg
Base
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hanro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hanro »

Hi Patmet,

Nice start , Interested to see where you take the design. I expect in your environment it will put on size fairly quickly and the branching options will change as you refine it.

I have struggled with mine at times and our short growing season.
It broke its pot last year .
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

I've been admiring the striking red new growth on this lately. It's really nice to see in the garden. I hadn't noticed it as much previously, but maybe it has never been quite as red.. I can't remember.
20240301_173612_1.jpg
20240302_173836_1.jpg
20240302_173847_1.jpg

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”