First Wiring

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Martin555
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 0

First Wiring

Post by Martin555 »

My first pre bonsai wiring, just putting some shape in and waiting to see how it goes, no pruning or root cutting so the plant is safe atm, I was lucky to choose a chinese elm as they are highly recommended for beginners, any tips would be appreciated, how long will it take for the tree to assume the new shape?.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: First Wiring

Post by KIRKY »

Martin,
Just a few points, your wiring spacing looks ok. There is a lot going on at the top of your tree. Check to see if you have bar branches if so you will need to remove them. Remove the thicker branches from the top section of your tree. As a tree grows top branches get thinner/shorter as they go up the tree. Also you have wires crossing over wires try to avoid that at all costs if you can. It can add extra pressure points that will cut into your trunk/branches. The other issue re design generally if you have a straight trunk you would wire your branches straighter without exaggerated bends.
When wiring you should be wiring with a tree design in mind towards your final goal. It sets the foundation.
Suggest two things :- walk around looking at tree structure's Branches, tips etc… note natives, deciduous trees all have different growth structure. Something to think about when wiring.
Secondly look into a bonsai club near you, many have novice classes that will assist you to better understand structure and techniques.
It’s easier to see one, do one than trying to imagine what someone is describing to you. :imo:
Enjoy your journey.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Sno
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sno »

I had one of those red clamps too ‘once’ (buggered if I know what happened to it ) . If I was you I would toss it . You get better movement from chopping at the right time plus you get taper . At this tree’s stage you need to have a branch or the leader run a bit to thicken the trunk . So I would let that straight bit at the top shoot and grow .
With the setting of the branches it all ‘depends’ . If you keep on eye on it you will see the branches swell , the trick is to remove the wire before the branch swells around the wire .it can be quick if the tree is actively growing .
I think everyone has a tree or two with wire scars on them .
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I started off with a similar red clamp. I think I still have the tree with the scars it caused because the clamp puts pressure on only 3 points of the branch so the branch swells around those points as it thickens. You can take the clamp off but the odd swellings will probably remain for a very long time. I may even still have that clamp somewhere but have not used it again because of the problems it caused.

Agree with Sno that time to set depends on many factors - time of year, age and thickness of the branch, species, how quick the tree is growing, etc. Smaller branches will set into the new shape in just a few weeks but thicker branches may take several months. Some branches on slow growing species can take several years to set in place.
Most of us leave the wires in place for as long as possible to allow for all the above factors. That means you MUST keep an eye on how the branches thicken inside the wires. If you notice that any part of any wire appears to be flat on the side closer to the branch that means the branch is starting to grow around the wire and is a good cue to take all the wires off. I think all of us have trees with ugly spiral scars from leaving wires on just a bit too long.

Kirky has some valid points about design. You are free to make any design you feel like making but Bonsai is not just about putting random bends into branches. The finished product should be aesthetically pleasing. As with other art forms there are guidelines that definitely help us create more attractive shapes and styles.
I think most of us start out trying to 'make trees look like bonsai' or at least like our beginner impressions of what bonsai might be. A much better approach is to try to 'make your bonsai look more like real trees'
I'd also urge you to look closely at older trees whenever you are out and about. Many species have a 'typical' shape. Sometimes we can identify a species from a distance just from the shape they tend to grow into.
Look also at how trunks and branches develop and at what looks nice and the shapes and arrangement of branching that is not so attractive so those more attractive features can be incorporated into your bonsai designs.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JimmyTheSkip
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Currently researching

Post by JimmyTheSkip »

I had one of those red things in my set, had no idea what it was…
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

You've been given some good advice to start with so I won't add more to that at this stage. I would recommend however that you try and take photos from a better perspective in future to help those looking at the picture see better what is going on. The picture you posted is looking down on the tree. This tends to make things look more crowded and out of perspective. Try to take a photo from more straight on and lower down so you only just see the top of the soil line. This is also the perspective you want to style from because that is usually where you want people to view it.

And another thing, good job on your first wiring. Definitely one of the best first attempts I've seen.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Post by Patmet »

One thing I would just like to add to all of the above is to twist in the direction of the wire as you bend. You won't see it right away but as branches mature and thicken, twists give them a lot of character in three dimensions. You don't have to twist the living daylight out of them all the time either just a slight twist can be enough. It also helps lock the wire in place. This is where you have to be very mindful of what direction you want to move the branch and wire clockwise or anti-clockwise to suit.

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”