Portulacaria afra Shohin Project

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: WA natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Albany Bonsai Collective, Bonsai Society of Western Australia

Portulacaria afra Shohin Project

Post by Patmet »

My Grandad gave me this portulacaria in 2019 when I was a beginner. I've always thought it had potential with good taper and trunk line.

I had a crack at first styling it, and shortly after took it out of the small bonsai pot and put it into a cut down plastic pot. Since then it has been on the back burner doing it's own thing for the most part with some cutting here and there.

Recently I decided to start giving it some attention again and gave it it's first repot in a number of years. I've also gone in with wire to set up some better structure again, and cut everything back to the first few leaves to push growth in.

There are a couple of "bar branch" sections, especially up the top, but I'm still unsure of getting rid of any one part at this stage. Any ideas/critiques/advice for the design welcome.

Cheers, Patrick
20190429_171348_1.jpg
April 2019 as I got it
20190429_180927_1.jpg
2019 first styling attempt
20191108_171622_1.jpg
Some time 2019 after being potted up
20240131_185103_1.jpg
Before work Jan 2024
20240201_174851_1.jpg
20240201_174918_1.jpg
After
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimIAm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Elm, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Portulacaria afra Shohin Project

Post by TimIAm »

Looking good. If it was mine I'd remove the lowest branch. Then tidy up some of the overlapping branches. I'd then grow out some of the lower branches to thicken them up because (from the photo) they all look like the same thickness.

Something like this:
pafra.jpg

I really like the base.

I'm probably not suggesting anything you don't already know. Anyway, I think you'll end up with something very decent. I'm growing a couple of these myself. I like that they're easy to work with and you can ignore them as long as you like. No fuss and easy to style.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

TimIAm wrote: February 2nd, 2024, 3:19 pm Looking good. If it was mine I'd remove the lowest branch. Then tidy up some of the overlapping branches. I'd then grow out some of the lower branches to thicken them up because (from the photo) they all look like the same thickness.

Something like this:

pafra.jpg

I really like the base.

I'm probably not suggesting anything you don't already know. Anyway, I think you'll end up with something very decent. I'm growing a couple of these myself. I like that they're easy to work with and you can ignore them as long as you like. No fuss and easy to style.
Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated. I think what you have suggested is probably the direction I will head. Removing that main low branch is something I've considered, and seeing it removed in the virtual you have done helps me get a better visual.

I think the base and lower trunk are the strongest features of this tree. I agree with you. I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I think they get an unfairly bad rap in bonsai. In my opinion they can make very attractive trees, and are an amazingly resilient species.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

That's great work, one thing I recommend is that you score the trunk at this stage so that it calluses over and that way you don't see the rings as it matures. I did that with some of my Jade's and the trunk looks more mature.
Patmet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Patmet »

I ended up removing two of the low front branches. I'm happy with the decision I made in the end.

It grew back so fast from that last round of work, so I've just cut it back again to keep pushing the growth in. I also tightened the guy wires some more. I want to over bend the larger branches down to allow for a bit of spring back when the wires are removed.

I've taken a photo from all sides of the tree now. Something I want to start doing more to give a bit better an idea of the tree in three dimensions.
20240302_153111_1.jpg
Before
20240302_165938_1.jpg
After - Front
20240302_165910_1.jpg
Back
20240302_165900_1.jpg
Side
20240302_165921_1.jpg
Side

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”