Bonsai Frenzy

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Raniformis
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Bonsai Frenzy

Post by Raniformis »

An elm stump I dug up earlier this year, took about 4hrs to get it out. No idea what's next but I liked the base.
20240123_144907.jpg
Some radiata, dug these mid january, all have new roots and starting to put on new growth.
20240228_083540.jpg
20240130_204335.jpg
Peppercorn weed, these things might be impossible to kill, going nuts in this hot weather we've had.
20240305_175117.jpg
I'm finding everything to be about the same so far, around 6 weeks to strike new roots and start growing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HarleyD
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Bonsai Frenzy

Post by HarleyD »

I'll be interested to see what you do with that elm! :tu: I wish there was as much yamadori material in my area. Where do you usually look for this stuff?
Raniformis
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raniformis »

Cheers HarleyD, Elms are like weeds around here, they pop up from roots even when there's no tree in sight. I've pretty much got an eye open constantly, parklands, walking trails, paddocks, churches, abondondoned houses, train tracks, side of the road, middle of the road, anywhere and everywhere pretty much, hunting for them is like a hobby in itself.

Don't dispair, I actually prefer the control you have over seedlings and directly under your target tree during spring/summer is a great place to find them

20240322_115109.jpg
Some oak seedlings under an oak tree at one of the local churches. Few meters across there's a Greek Strawberry seedling ripe for the taking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raniformis
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raniformis »

A bunch of Ash kicking on the side of the road. I cut back a heap of these over spring, I'm just gonna shape them in the ground and collect them as they finish.
20240322_124245.jpg
20240322_124352.jpg

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”