Tridents Galore

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Tridents Galore

Post by alpineart »

Hi Matthew , mate we have had 240mm in the last few weeks 55mm in the last 24 hrs and my trees are bursting everywhere . Some of the Crab apples and Tridents have a set of leaves , some of the junipers, pines and cedars are taking off , a Western shore pine has already elongated 50-70mm yet the ground is still very cold . Mother nature sure is a challenge .

About to go out and root prune the grow bed stock with a custom made shovel , wont get time to dig up and root prune by the look of the growth , I still have hundreds of potted material that wont be worked correctly , but a drill and a core cutter /spade bit , sabre saw or any thing else i can think of will lighten the burden for the trainer material . It will be quick , precise and done and dusted in no time

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mel , August September is usually our windiest months but last week it came up in the night , even the Black Mountain was flattened . I had to re-pot most of my native as they were in the direct path of the wind , the tree's will bounce back but the pots don't .

I have move some racks and lowered other hopefully that will suffice.

Cheers . Alpine
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Hi Mel , August September is usually our windiest months but last week it came up in the night , even the Black Mountain was flattened . I had to re-pot most of my native as they were in the direct path of the wind , the tree's will bounce back but the pots don't .

I have move some racks and lowered other hopefully that will suffice.
crikey.... good luck Ian!
bunce
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: BONSAI NW

Post by bunce »

Mel do you still grow tridents? Im keen to have a look.

Matt
:hooray: Hakuju-En Bonsai Nursery - Shohin - Mame - Tokoname Pots - Display Tables - Repot - Styling work - https://hakujuenbonsai.com/ :aussie:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Hey matt,
I think you're asking for Ian, not Mel. Mel is in Brisbane. Ian (alpineart) is at Myrtleford so you were not far away from his place when you were up here recently.

I'm sure he'll chime in when he gets time and if the computer is working and if he hasn't injured himself today........ :palm: :whistle: :whistle: :palm:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi bunce , mate yes I do still grow tridents and other species as well .

Hi Mr Shibui , I have time , the computers working and haven't injured myself today .

I have recovered after impailing my eye socket with a stick , now I'm recovering from a wanna be guru doctors mis diagnosis and non surgical procedure to fix the mis diagnosis . Now surgury is required to fix the gunna be doctors mess . I'm still alive and kicking ,making progress be it bloody slow but it is progress , thanks for asking .

Cheers .Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well I got the all clear on the latest test results but still need a bit of surgery to rectify an issue , So its all go here "easy does it but do it" . Ripped into this shared grow bed to remove the last of the first batch of fused/ fusing Trident trunks . Its been a learning experience with all the issues slaters being the worst .
P1130336.JPG
these few were barely effected from ring barking while the rest were severely eaten in and around the bases
P1130337.JPG
P1130338.JPG
P1130339.JPG
. Adding extra whips hasn't solved the issues so they will go straight back into the ground without root pruning or trimming . A quick turnover of the grow bed and they will be taken care of for another season . Not all 10 grow beds will be dug up but I will do my best .

Cheers . Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

crikey Ian, you're a machine!

Hope you're taking care of yourself just a little!

Good to see your fused trunk tridents, I've only done one, and yours are very inspiring!

Good luck with the next bit of surgery!
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mel' been out of order with accident and injury over the last few months , hopefully I've had my fair share now . Any op' will be postponed until I get on top of all the work that has been put on the back burner .

These fused trunk aren't the best ones , they have long been sold , I did hang onto a couple of smaller ones myself . These will continue to grow and be cut back during the growing season
P1130343.JPG
back where they belong just before a severe storm hit this afternoon , the bed is a little empty but I will gather stock from another bed to fill it out .

Cheers . Alpine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

:tu: Good on you Alpine :tu:
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hey alpine
This is not just for your tridends but a post in general, just wanted to say how much I do enjoy your posts. I find your " go out and give it a go " approach to life in general , very infectious and often , after I've read one of your posts I think to myself. Yeah I'm gonna give that a go . Cheers mate keep them posts rolling in :beer: :beer:
Cheers mate
Peterb
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Damien Bee , thanks mate .

Hi peterb, I give it a go where I can and with what I've got , sometimes its not enough for others , but I do my best and for me and that's good enough , after all there's only 1 me . Your a long time dead so I might as well live life to the fullest while I can even if its in short burst .

One day I will be too old or too buggered to do anything but at least with Bonsai and can still try to do something .

Cheers . Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Been back at work for 2 days but managed to find some time to finish collecting other fused trunks from various grow beds around the yard . The additions are from the second batch which fused better , they too weren't root pruned apart from the spading which left a min' 300mm diameter root mass , basically dug
P1130352.JPG
and re planted
P1130353.JPG
P1130354.JPG
With the development of the narebri over the last few years very few root grow down during each season even in grow beds , I removed about a dozen roots in total on these 50 odd trunks and simply folded the smaller softer roots out allowing them to sit flat in the ground , I'm looking for more growth and girth and root fusion on most of these hence the roots were basically untouched. With 1 bed complete only 9 to go .

Cheers . Alpineart
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This is another grow bed complete ,
P1130369.JPG
these are 2 year old trunks with movement or character , definitely worth keeping for another season . That's another 60 taken care of and I still have a barrow load of little ones to sort and plant out
P1130367.JPG
I still have a grow bed of tridents to dig but other beds are being worked over in between .

Cheers . Alpineart
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

your place must look amazing when the leaves change colour!

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”