Casurina/ Daintree Pine

Post photo's of your bonsai under-construction for discussion and inspiration.
Woz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Casurina/ Daintree Pine

Post by Woz »

Hey Guys I just picked up a couple of these.
DSC00441.JPG
I was thinking i would get a few cuttings and try out a bunjin/ literati style. I would love any input/ ideas people have.
f1.JPG
b01.JPG
I am gunna go an have a play on photoshop, thanks any advice appreciated : )
Woz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Woz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Casurina/ Daintree Pine

Post by Woz »

this is a really slap dash paint job, the yellow section whould be jin in the future maybe??
f01prop.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

hey woz,

i like your ideas, and the subtle movement in the trunk. i did something quite similar to this on a 'bull oak' yesterday.

ill post that one on another thread 2nyt.

im guessing here, but... it's in a 6 inch pot, so that makes the tree... 72cm :?: :?:

maybe the trunk's a bit skinny for the height.

i reckon you need to maybe put a bit of movement in the trunk, and either let it grow for a season or two, or style it like you have in the virtual, but shorter.

:D
Last edited by aaron_tas on January 23rd, 2009, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Post by Jon Chown »

Hi Woz - good to see you posting and being a part of the forum.

Literati is perhaps one of the most difficult styles to pull off and I can't help wondering why you decided to start here. If it is because of the height of the tree that you have bought, I would pose a couple of questions for you:-

Will this species shoot back on old wood? What final height do you want for this tree?

I agree with Aaron on the height issue combined with the fairly straight trunk - not very interesting. If the species will shoot back then my suggestion at this early stage would be to reduce the height of the trunk to just above the first branch and see what happens.

You will require a lot of time and patience with this hobby and with this tree in particular.

What side of Brisbane do you live? pm me if you don't want to make it public.

Jon
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

G'day Woz,
How's this one looking now? Did you end up doing what you planned in the virt or did you come up with something else?
S.
Last edited by Steven on October 26th, 2011, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Hi guys,

I was weeding beneath a mature specimen of this tree the other day, really quiet beautiful. The foliage is similar to the Casuarina, but slightly finer. The bark is quiet different, in that it is very smooth.

It is in the family "Casuarinaceae", therefore very closely related to the Casuarina, but it is not one itself. There is another plant closely related to the Gymnostoma called a "Ceuthostoma". I really want to find this tree, and bonsai it ofcoarse :P

Please keep us updated with this tree Woz, i'm really interested in how it goes in bonsai culture.

JayC
Woz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Woz »

My casurina is currently going rather nicely and I am about to do some work on it hopefull over this weekend. As you can see I didn't follow my original vert idea but I think overall I am satisfied with the direction it is heading. Its has just budded some very cool little flowers. I think if I can find some more of these I would grab them, the bark texture I am extremly fond of and the strong green of the foliage as well.
DSC00686.JPG

I am going to lose that upper branh on the left, wire down one of the branches slightly higher up and the work on defining the apex...
here is a really quick bang up vert..
DSC00686 v1.JPG
I will hopefully get some pics up shortly after I have done some work on it : )
Last edited by Woz on June 18th, 2009, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Woz »

by the way I am always open to critiques and advice so if you have any on this tree please feel free to let em flow :D
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Woz wrote:by the way I am always open to critiques and advice so if you have any on this tree please feel free to let em flow :D
Nice tree and I think it will be interesting to see how they perform in the future.

As for yours I think you need to give it much more movement in the trunk. Literati is not meant to be just a straight or slight curve. Get some wire on it and bend.
If the trees have straightish trunks, they will genearlly have large well defined shari to add interest

Do a search ofr Literati styled pines on the 'net and have a look at them all and try to emulate them if you can.
Check this page for a few sketches and you will see what I mean. http://www.bonsailearningcenter.com/Tip ... bunjin.htm

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Thanks for the update Woz!

It looks good in the new pot and the planting height is okay but I feel that the rock needs to be planted lower to make it look more stable. At the moment it looks like it has just been 'placed' there. If it were lower then it would give the appearance that it has always been there. Maybe put it on a slight angle too while you at it.
I'd like to see much more movement put into the trunk which should be pretty easy to do while it is at this stage. I think you are on the right track with your virt and look forwards to watching this one develop.

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai

Return to “Bonsai Progression Series”