Mallee Box

Tree’s that provide us with inspiration.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Mallee Box

Post by Matt S »

The other week we had our dig in the Onkaparinga national park, and when the dig was over I headed over to where the olives gave way to the native bush. I spent an hour wandering through the Eucalyptus and yakka and I was particularly taken with the Mallee Box (Eucalyptus porosa). Heaps of interesting forms including clump and rafts, amazing deadwood and rough bark all along the branches.
box 1 a.jpg
box 2.jpg
box 4.jpg
box 5.jpg
box 6.jpg
box 7.jpg
box 8.jpg
box 10 deadwood.jpg

Has anyone had any experience in growing these? They're a common species in Southern Australia. I've collected some seed so I'm keen to give them a go.

Also, there were some Sticky Hop Bush (Dodonaea viscosa) with crazy trunks on them:
sticky hop bush.jpg

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Re: Mallee Box

Post by Phil Rabl »

Great photos Matt. Last year I did a summary of AusBonsai posts on eucalypts (viewtopic.php?f=78&t=28106). Among other things, I attempted to name every species that people report trying. E. porosa is not on the list I extracted from posts (although it's perfectly possible that I missed one or two). Not much direct assistance, but hopefully there is something in the summary that helps.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: Mallee Box

Post by Matt S »

Thanks Phil.

Your excellent summary was the first place I looked! If I get some seedlings or tubestock I'll probably treat them the same as my E camaldulensis - lots of water and fertiliser, root work in November, hard pinching when it's time for ramification. Capturing those crazy shapes will be the most challenging!

Matt.

Return to “Inspiration from Nature”