Hakea

Tree’s that provide us with inspiration.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Hakea

Post by Watto »

On a walk around one of the many fabulous walking tracks in the Goulburn area and noticed this yesterday.
I don't recall noticing it before, probably because it wasn't in flower but I thought it was great. Could possible make a good bonsai?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Re: Hakea

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Watto, that's an interesting looking tree. The only reservation I have is with the leaf size. I've never seen one as a bonsai, so can't help you with the prospect of leaf size reduction.
Cheers, Frank.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Certainly worth a try, but it may not live all that long, like a lot of the fast-growing Acacias. Your choice.

G
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

It is a Hakea not an acacia Gavin. But may not live that long in pot culture anyway. I've found similar issues with the few Hakeas that I have grown as I do with Grevilleas. Didn't like root disturbance, and didn't like pruning. Mind you, it was early days in my growing that I tried.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Thanks, I know the difference. Hakeas can be like a lot of the fast-growing Acacias. As you note, they both seem to have the same limitations when used for bonsai.

Ruth McL. in Canberra grows Grevilleas well, as you probably know - she cuts gently, repots moderately and takes time to get a graceful result. I used to hack horribly, at both ends, and wondered why they kept on dying. I'm experimenting with a 2/3 pumice mix, very fast draining, and gentle handling - I'll tell you how I go in twenty years.... I particularly want G. australis - fine leaves, delicate with flowers and a wild-feeling habit. I suspect they may never grow the solid trunks I like (hence the hard cutting!) but maybe it's time I revised my opinions...

Sigh.

Gavin

Return to “Inspiration from Nature”