Figs - beautiful Figs.....

Tree’s that provide us with inspiration.
bonzaidog
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus,olives,bougies
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop Inc, Bonsai Society of WA

Re: Figs - beautiful Figs.....

Post by bonzaidog »

Thanx for the photo, "Sir" Jerry, 8-) Is it your intention for the host to rot away altogether,or is that the way the cookie crumbles?.... :roll: ...Dog
Jerry Meislik
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jerry Meislik »

Dog,
The trunk is crumbling away so I guess I am resigned to have it eventually hollow out and have a basket of roots remain.
I could try to treat the rotting out wood with a penetrating marine epoxy.
Will keep you posted.
Jerry
http://www.bonsaihunk.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hugh grant
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Kunzea
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: CCBC, CBS, VNBC, BSST

Post by hugh grant »

Looking good Jerry, it seems to be progressing well ;) can't wait to see the pic of what it looks like now.

Hugh ;)
Tree Makers Making Australian Bonsai
School - Nursery - Store

Upper Blue Mountains NSW
https://www.treemakers.net/

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/treemakersbonsai
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tree_makers/
E: Hughgrant@treemakers.net
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs & Azaleas
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Central Coast Bonsai Club

From Rainforest to bonsai

Post by sreeve »

Since July 2009, of my four trial plants, I managed to kill two of the plants.
Of the two remaining trials, one needed some surgery on an overly dominant downward root and the fourth is cooking nicely…..time will tell

I just finished re-reading “From Rainforest to Bonsai” by Len Webber and am really excited by some of the things and trials Len documented….what a man……

When I made my original post I had a brain explosion and tried to replicate an example of a natural hollow strangler fig I had seen in a local reserve….……

The book clearly shows that Len beat me to it by ages………..I would REALLY love to see the trees he developed to reproduce these type of strangler figs……
Someone / some people purchased his figs – can you please post them……(in particular the hollow strangler figs)

Max Candy is a legend – unfortunately I never had a chance to learn from him and Grant is doing a great job of documenting some history about him as he made a really significant contribution to Aussie bonsai.

After reading Len Webber’s book it is plainly obvious that Len also made a significant contribution.

Grant, Ric, Noel or Lee, did you get a chance to spend some time with Len?

Are there any examples of his trees?

He seems to have been a real "ideas man”…..a man of action not of talk only

I gleaned a couple of ideas for new ways to replicate figs in nature and will try a few new experiments in the next few weeks

If anyone hasn’t read this book – do yourself a favour and raid the local library

Regards
Steve
Last edited by sreeve on March 20th, 2010, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Steve I am a fan of Len's book as you know. My understanding was that some of his trees where saved in a collection. I am sure you know what I am talking about as this is stated in the book. Is this colection of Lennards trees gone?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sreeve »

I think I might need to re-read the book.
Where is the collection - I thought the book implied that most had been sold and only a few retained by the family?
Regards
Steve
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I just got the book out Steve and could not find what I was talking about. The dyslexic side caught on and I realised I had seen pictures of his trees online. Can't remember if there is a reference to this in the book or not but I found what I was talking about.
http://www.bonsai4me.com/Gallery/Galler ... otanic.htm
Brisbane Botanic Gardens-Bonsai House Collection
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: From Rainforest to bonsai

Post by anttal63 »

sreeve wrote:Since July 2009, of my four trial plants, I managed to kill two of the plants.
Of the two remaining trials, one needed some surgery on an overly dominant downward root and the fourth is cooking nicely…..time will tell

I just finished re-reading “From Rainforest to Bonsai” by Len Webber and am really excited by some of the things and trials Len documented….what a man……

When I made my original post I had a brain explosion and tried to replicate an example of a natural hollow strangler fig I had seen in a local reserve….……

The book clearly shows that Len beat me to it by ages……….. Dont worry about it apparrently it happens to the best of us! I would REALLY love to see the trees he developed to reproduce these type of strangler figs……
Someone / some people purchased his figs – can you please post them……(in particular the hollow strangler figs)

Max Candy is a legend – unfortunately I never had a chance to learn from him and Grant is doing a great job of documenting some history about him as he made a really significant contribution to Aussie bonsai.

After reading Len Webber’s book it is plainly obvious that Len also made a significant contribution.

Grant, Ric, Noel or Lee, did you get a chance to spend some time with Len?

Are there any examples of his trees?

He seems to have been a real "ideas man”…..a man of action not of talk only Thats my kind of Bonsai man too!

I gleaned a couple of ideas for new ways to replicate figs in nature and will try a few new experiments in the next few weeks You do that fella!
If anyone hasn’t read this book – do yourself a favour and raid the local library Im on to it!

Regards
Steve

Very interesting post indeed Steve!!! Now we are getting to the legends of Australian Bonsai. I would love to know more about this man too. :D 8-) ;)
Regards Antonio:
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi all, Grant Bowie here,

Now we are getting back in History!

Len Webber was the first person I ever met to do with Bonsai. I was 13 years old (40 years ago this year) and had been learning indonesian as a language in High School. We were taken to a display of Asian arts somewhere on the north shore of Sydney and in the science lab kitchen/prep room was Lenny Webber and a small display of Bonsai.

I WAS HOOKED FOR LIFE!

He certainly was a "Colorful Bonsai Identity" with all its good and bad conotations;his teaching style and gruff manner certainly didn't suit everyone.

I could relay many stories from the many years I rubbed up against him in many forums but probably the most memorable were the Bonsai Weekend Seminars at the Ryde School of Horticulture. They were great and such an inspiration.

I was pleased to include some of his trees in a BFA display in 1988(I was president for two years).

We also had other School of Bonsai trees in the show as well.

Grant
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

He sounded like an intresting fellow Grant :D Can we still see his trees anywhere, Are they still at the Brisbane Botanic Gardens :?:

Keep an eye out for his book on Ebay. It took me a while to come across it but I have seen them go up for auction on a regular basis over the last few years.
bonsai4life
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by bonsai4life »

Hi all,
Some of his collection is still at the botanic gardens...as well as other trees. I'm not sure but I think most of the figs there are his, of which I have some pics...just trying to work out how to resize them...hmm :?

cheers Gott
Why is it that some people can't just give there oppinion.....if someone does not agree is there really a need to jump on your shetland pony and pretend its a high horse???
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Hi Gott That would be great :)
irfanview is what I always use to resize pics.
http://www.irfanview.com/
It is a free download.
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sreeve »

Thanks Grant
bonsai4life
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by bonsai4life »

heres a few pics..maybe Lens trees...

love the inspiration picture.... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Why is it that some people can't just give there oppinion.....if someone does not agree is there really a need to jump on your shetland pony and pretend its a high horse???
sreeve
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sreeve »

Thanks Bonsai4life

Return to “Inspiration from Nature”