Allocasuarina Torulosa and Gum Trees.

Tree’s that provide us with inspiration.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Allocasuarina Torulosa and Gum Trees.

Post by Rory »

Yesterday my son Bowie and I went for our 'Wednesday walk' in the national park, and after being asked to provide some pics of our local Casuarinas, I have obliged, and thrown in the odd Gum tree too.
Interesting things to note are, that it is a little bit more common to see Torulosa with drooping branches a bit more than I thought. The number of hollowed gum trunks is amazing that we saw, and when you create your eucalyptus bonsai, don't be afraid to leave bumps when cutting off a branch, as the knobs are quite natural, and look fantastic on older trees.

Basically, it is a lot of food for thought about styling your Torulosa / Gum and casuarinas. I find the short stumpy Torulosa doesn't do it for me, because I've never seen this in the wild, except for the occasional one that has been knocked off from a large animal or walker, but even then it may have an unusually thicker base with a still long straggly form.

These pictures are all taken in the national park that starts behind our house, so we often go off the track if something nice pops up, like a few massive goannas, swamp wallabies, big spikey head neck lizards, bush turkeys, blue tongues, kookaburras, currawongs, plathora of spiders and strange insects etc etc. I guess we take it for granted, but my son Bowie sees more native wildlife on a weekly basis than most people see in a year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: Allocasuarina Torulosa and Gum Trees.

Post by kcpoole »

Nic pictures Buddy thanks for posting
I am surprised the hollow Gum did not have a creature hidden inside :-)

Is it maybe the Cas are tall and lanky due to growing in amongst the taller forest? They are stretching up to see the light?

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Laurie J
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by Laurie J »

Very interesting! Thank you so much for posting!
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

kcpoole wrote:Nic pictures Buddy thanks for posting
I am surprised the hollow Gum did not have a creature hidden inside :-)

Is it maybe the Cas are tall and lanky due to growing in amongst the taller forest? They are stretching up to see the light?

Ken
Thanks Ken. Yes, that would probably be the case in the dense parts. Yet when it is very sparce and clear though at the top plateau areas where there is ample sun and space, they still grow the same way. Hard to say. You've got me interested now. :lost:
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive

Post by EdwardH »

Love to see old(er) trees like the one your son is standing in front of. Unfortunately the only trees I see on a daily basis are all butchered street trees under overhead wires. Every now and then I see an old tree in a yard. Absolutely majestic. :clap: Now if only my bonsai looked like those!
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Thanks for posting BBM.

Some good inspirations there.

I too think that some of these specimens are a little longer than usual due to the dense surroundings.
I've been studying a few CAS TOR's down here from time to time and they certainly appear a fair bit different to the fine examples you have shown.

Like a lot of our native tree's depending on location the natural shapes can vary quite considerably.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

Boics wrote:Thanks for posting BBM.

Some good inspirations there.

I too think that some of these specimens are a little longer than usual due to the dense surroundings.
I've been studying a few CAS TOR's down here from time to time and they certainly appear a fair bit different to the fine examples you have shown.

Like a lot of our native tree's depending on location the natural shapes can vary quite considerably.
Interesting points you and Ken make. Can you take multiple photos of the ones from your area. I'd really love to see them.

I hadn't thought about that until Ken mentioned it. The areas up here where the trees get full sun in a very open area still seem to grow the same way here, but it could be a coincidence, so I would be interested in if maybe it also has a bit to do with genetic variation in the differing areas or denser forest areas.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Many thanks for the photos and the discussion, much appreciated.

For me, these trees show soft and easy growing conditions - not a bad thing necessarily, certainly not for the trees, but maybe not a lot that's interesting to look at. I think I prefer to look at trees that have had a hard time, and show it in their complicated shapes and lines and stories. In the photos, number four has some very interesting angles, and I'll be using them in some of my trees, I hope. The burnt-out tree is something that Pup has shown works well in bonsai, I think there should be more of it - the Australian version of the shari.

Interesting exercise all round.

Gavin
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Rory »

GavinG wrote:Many thanks for the photos and the discussion, much appreciated.

For me, these trees show soft and easy growing conditions - not a bad thing necessarily, certainly not for the trees, but maybe not a lot that's interesting to look at. I think I prefer to look at trees that have had a hard time, and show it in their complicated shapes and lines and stories. In the photos, number four has some very interesting angles, and I'll be using them in some of my trees, I hope. The burnt-out tree is something that Pup has shown works well in bonsai, I think there should be more of it - the Australian version of the shari.

Interesting exercise all round.

Gavin
Hi Gavin. Yeah, if I'd known you wanted 'odd looking' cas torulosa, buggger! I could have given you a tonne more, but I was trying to find drooping branches. :palm: I'll have to try to remember next time I go. I know what you mean, I too love seeing a casuarinas plight against the elements. They can exhibit the most amazing forms showing the struggle they've endured. Unfortunately in the lower areas it gets too wet for them, and they can succumb to rot.
Rory
Central Coast, NSW

GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

It will be good to see whatever you come up with Rory - just another excuse for another wander in the bush with the young bloke. I do go for "odd-looking"...

Gavin

Return to “Inspiration from Nature”