Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Ash eWorkshop

Post by Grant Bowie »

Boics wrote:Fantastic idea...

I only have a very piddly little Ash with not exactly a heap of branching..
Considering the entrants are not exactly flooding in to this great opportunity I'll take a few photo's of the straggler tonight and see what we think!

Cheers,
Still 2 weeks to go of course, however small and perfectly formed are always in demand.

As you will see I am hoping to create a number of small ash bonsai of my own.

grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Pup wrote:
eddieperth wrote:Terrific idea! On ya Grant for your willingness to help the community.

I have no Ash...don't even know if they would work in Perth, but I will be watching with interest.

They do work here Eddie, our climate is similar to South Australia, where they have established as a weed much like the Olives. Its just amatter of finding one.

Cheers Pup
You probably wont get any autumn colour but they are appreciated for their winter silhouette, rough bark and interesting shapes.

Grant
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Well here is a submission..

It's a number of years old and I've actually just culled a larger sacrifice branch.
As you can see no real branching or ramification to speak of.

Now lets see everyone else jump out of the woodwork with the bar set so low!

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I have three project Ashes i would like to work on Grant. One i have growing on in a big grow pot which will, i think, have a stonker of a base. I wont know till i dig it up, it has no branching as yet as i have been developing its base. The other is well developed but want to get some ramification happening and the last is a little tacker with some development. Should i post piccys :?:

OOPS..just read i have to post photos, will do today.
Last edited by bodhidharma on June 1st, 2013, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Steven, This is a fantastic idea and something that will be of benefit to art everywhere, not just Ausbonsai members & the Australian scene. :hooray:

Grant, I would like to thankyou in advance for your generousity of time & knowledge in this project & look forward to learning from all you do with your own trees & those of the participants. As I plan to take my ash from ground to pot this year to start the journey, larger collected material that doesn't fit the criteria, I would be keen to get your input all the same.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
soda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The last one i killed :-(
Bonsai Age: 15

Ash eWorkshop

Post by soda »

Hi Grant, this is approaching 2 years since collection and has some immature branching. Would like to join if its considered acceptable material. Thanks Soda

Having trouble loading via tapatalk pics pending
Last edited by soda on June 1st, 2013, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Boics wrote:Well here is a submission..

It's a number of years old and I've actually just culled a larger sacrifice branch.
As you can see no real branching or ramification to speak of.

Now lets see everyone else jump out of the woodwork with the bar set so low!

Cheers!
Good taper and some branching so a definite good starter for a small tree. Not sure what happened at the base? Hard to tell from the photo.

But nevertheless could be a good small bonsai within a season.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

bodhidharma wrote:I have three project Ashes i would like to work on Grant. One i have growing on in a big grow pot which will, i think, have a stonker of a base. I wont know till i dig it up, it has no branching as yet as i have been developing its base. The other is well developed but want to get some ramification happening and the last is a little tacker with some development. Should i post piccys :?:

OOPS..just read i have to post photos, will do today.
Yes lets see the pics.

No 1. Good trunk but no branches will get a good start;
No 2. Ramification is easy with Ash
No 3. Sounds good also.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

MattA wrote:Steven, This is a fantastic idea and something that will be of benefit to art everywhere, not just Ausbonsai members & the Australian scene. :hooray:

Grant, I would like to thankyou in advance for your generousity of time & knowledge in this project & look forward to learning from all you do with your own trees & those of the participants. As I plan to take my ash from ground to pot this year to start the journey, larger collected material that doesn't fit the criteria, I would be keen to get your input all the same.
Welcome. Larger collected may fit the bill depending on how long since collected and what branching it does or doesn't have. So please submit as we wont know till we see pics.

If there is an absolute flood of material from lots of people that's great and may need to expand but lets wait and see.

Or we could have a separate category for large collected; or do a workshop in person at BBTH etc

Grant
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

WOOHOO will clear the weeds & get a pic up to see what you think, collected in 2010 as interesting material of scale, the maturing process has only made it more of a styling challenge.... If you have the interest from other growers I am happy to learn from the sidelines & let better suited trees be worked to your program.

Having seen your ash in the bark and the image I have in my head I would be honoured to work with you on mine as part of this project or workshop at BBTH or better yet both, when is it & how do I go about organising that?
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Macros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm/Maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Macros »

Hey Guys,
Not sure if all types of Ash are considered weeds here in melbourne, but I know Desert Ash is? Is the a prefered supplier of this in Melbourne, Preferebly south east?

Thanks,
Mac
Has it ever made you wonder, who was the first person to say " See that cow..... I'm going to pull on those pink dangelly things....and drink what ever comes out" ?
time8theuniverse
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by time8theuniverse »

ABash.jpg
This doesn't fit the criteria for this time around but this weed from the garden will benefit from the observations in the workshop. :cool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Patience is often a surprise.
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, quince ....most things really
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Haydenmc »

Hi Guys,
A little bigger than a medium sized tree i know, but I'd like to submit this for prospective training - if not selected ill be following alongside the updates...so either way.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image5.jpeg
thanks
hayden
Meagi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: english elm
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bnw and vic bonsai

Post by Meagi »

That's a real nice tree Hayden
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Northern Suburbs Bonsai Club

Post by Kerry »

Hi Steve & Grant. Have attached a pic of an ash that I have transplanted from a Polystyrene grow box to this tray last year.
The tree is 500 mm high from the trunk base or 600 from the tray bottom. Trunk diameter is approx 50 mm. Hope the photo is clear enough to convey the detail of branch numbers and the developing bark etc.
Not sure if this tree meets the criteria you are looking at for the eworkshop but thought I would submit it in hope. If it is not suitable I will certainly be following the progress of the workshop.

Bst Rgds Kerry
けり

Return to “eWorkshops”