Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Re: Ash eWorkshop

Post by MattA »

Grant Bowie wrote:
MattA wrote:Grant, This is the mess of a trunk that is my ash, collected 3 yrs ago it has been in the ground 2yrs (albeit with little care) as you can see it has extensive areas of deadwood & rot that will need attention but I am prepared to work it hard, even splitting into 2 trees is not out of the question.
ash1.jpg
ash2.jpg
As I have said, I am more than happy to forgo a spot in the workshops to allow room for the fantastic stock that is coming out of the woods, either way I know I am going to learn a lot from the process.
Is there anything alive on the middle, smallest trunk?
Unfortunately not, that was the original grafted trunk and it did not shoot back after collecting.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
bouquet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by bouquet »

Is there still places available?

I will post pictures of my Ash tomorrow.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Steven wrote:Those wishing to participate in the workshop should post their intent in this thread along with at least 2 good quality photographs of their stock Fraxinus within the next 2 weeks. By the 12th June 2013 we will select 6 participants from the applications based on their ability to participate and quality of the proposed stock.
Yes Bouquet, post away :)

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

MattA wrote:
Grant Bowie wrote:
MattA wrote:Grant, This is the mess of a trunk that is my ash, collected 3 yrs ago it has been in the ground 2yrs (albeit with little care) as you can see it has extensive areas of deadwood & rot that will need attention but I am prepared to work it hard, even splitting into 2 trees is not out of the question.
ash1.jpg
ash2.jpg
As I have said, I am more than happy to forgo a spot in the workshops to allow room for the fantastic stock that is coming out of the woods, either way I know I am going to learn a lot from the process.
Is there anything alive on the middle, smallest trunk?
Unfortunately not, that was the original grafted trunk and it did not shoot back after collecting.
OK,

Well you could do a twin trunk or clump style with whats left. There are good cutting points so yes it would be OK

Grant
bouquet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by bouquet »

Here are some pics of the Ash I would like to present for the workshop. I only have one but living in SA I am happy to work on this one as I should be able to get some more on digs.

I have already been told I should chop the first 2 branches about 1/2 inch just before spring. This is because they are a little to close together and I need to redo the branching there. Thoughts.

Any the tree is 38ish CM in height taken from the top of the soil. The nubby bit is 15cm in girth and just above is 10cm. I think it is dormant now but I still haven't removed all the leaves yet. I am still learning when to do this type of work.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Looks OK but would like to see how the trunk enters the ground and the roots at that point; whether the trunk is rolled over at the ground or not etc.

Grant
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Grant,
I am not sure if any of my little fellows fit the brief ,but i sure will be following this one with interest. When i first started this addictive hobby i took 5 cuttings off a friends tree. I wired some shape into them and have been growing on since. Last spring i root pruned them all and Trunk chopped one in summer. The 4 growing on, stand about 5 feet tall with no taper but i think the roots are OK. :fc:
Once again big thanks for a great project. Cheers John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

boom64 wrote:Hi Grant,
I am not sure if any of my little fellows fit the brief ,but i sure will be following this one with interest. When i first started this addictive hobby i took 5 cuttings off a friends tree. I wired some shape into them and have been growing on since. Last spring i root pruned them all and Trunk chopped one in summer. The 4 growing on, stand about 5 feet tall with no taper but i think the roots are OK. :fc:
Once again big thanks for a great project. Cheers John.
Hi,

They look like the evergreen ash, Fraxinus griffithii. Do they lose their leaves in winter?

The one that has been chopped looks OK.

Grant
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Hi Grant, here are three that i want to play with. The large desert ash (700mm) has good branching but needs more secondary and tertiary's for ramification. The second is a small tree (350mm) and the third (unknown name) has a massive base which is below the surface and has no branch structure development or leader as yet. I think it has huge potential.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

bodhidharma wrote:Hi Grant, here are three that i want to play with. The large desert ash (700mm) has good branching but needs more secondary and tertiary's for ramification. The second is a small tree (350mm) and the third (unknown name) has a massive base which is below the surface and has no branch structure development or leader as yet. I think it has huge potential.
All good candidates.

Number 1 shows a semi formal tree
Number 2 is small and quirky; love it
number 3 is a longer term proposition but interesting. You say it is un named so I assume you don't know what type of tree it is (unlikely) ? or (more likely) just an Ash of unknown variety?

As we have 6 places in the workshop it will be best to have 6 different looking trees so that others can gain as much as the workshopee.

One of yours would certainly be of interest.

Grant
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Grant Bowie wrote:number 3 is a longer term proposition but interesting. You say it is un named so I assume you don't know what type of tree it is (unlikely) ? or (more likely) just an Ash of unknown variety?
Sorry Grant, amiss of me. Definitely an Ash but i dont know what sort. I thought a claret but something tells me it isnt. It does do a semblance of red in Autumn but not like the clarets.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

bodhidharma wrote:
Grant Bowie wrote:number 3 is a longer term proposition but interesting. You say it is un named so I assume you don't know what type of tree it is (unlikely) ? or (more likely) just an Ash of unknown variety?
Sorry Grant, amiss of me. Definitely an Ash but i dont know what sort. I thought a claret but something tells me it isnt. It does do a semblance of red in Autumn but not like the clarets.
New growth is very green and buds a bit more pronounced and dark.

Could be a seedling from one of the English/European ash, Fraxinus excelsior. Usually grafted.

grant
Damian79
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Whatever stays alive
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Mount Gambier

Post by Damian79 »

Wow Bodhi, I hope you have stock like this available when I see you on Friday ;) ;) :tu:
Still Learning the Basics........Slowly
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Northern Suburbs Bonsai Club

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant & Steve,
I posted a pic of my Ash a few days ago to which you made comment. Since than I have noticed that you were asking for at least two photos.
Seeing that my first post showed the tree in leaf I have taken the opportunity to take some more photos today which shows the tree minus leaves.
I notice that there have been a few good submissions since my initial posting but I am still keen to participate if chosen.

Bst Rgds Kerry
けり
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Northern Suburbs Bonsai Club

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant & Steven,
It's me again, I have submitted an ash smaller than this one for the workshop as I was not sure if this tree would meet the size criteria that you have suggested but have decided to submit it for your assessment.
The tree is 600 mm from the base and the trunk is 80 mm. Unfortunately the angle I have taken the side photo from seems to show a reverse taper of the trunk section near the second curve. In reality this is not the case so if you deem this tree worth considering I will take another photo from a better angle and submit it.
Thanks and bst rgds, Kerry
けり

Return to “eWorkshops”