Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Ash eWorkshop

Post by Grant Bowie »

Haydenmc wrote:Hi Guys,
A little bigger than a medium sized tree i know, but I'd like to submit this for prospective training - if not selected ill be following alongside the updates...so either way.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image5.jpeg
thanks
hayden
That is what I would consider medium and prime material for the eWorkshop.

In fact very good rawish stock; two trunks, some movement, cutting points etc. Perfect also

Cheers,

Grant
Last edited by Grant Bowie on June 2nd, 2013, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Macros wrote:Hey Guys,
Not sure if all types of Ash are considered weeds here in melbourne, but I know Desert Ash is? Is the a prefered supplier of this in Melbourne, Preferebly south east?

Thanks,
Mac
As they are a weed they are not usually sold by general nurseries but you could try Trevor at Bonsai Art, collectors corner and the one out near Narre Warren; or the club sales coming up or club members etc

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Kerry wrote:Hi Steve & Grant. Have attached a pic of an ash that I have transplanted from a Polystyrene grow box to this tray last year.
The tree is 500 mm high from the trunk base or 600 from the tray bottom. Trunk diameter is approx 50 mm. Hope the photo is clear enough to convey the detail of branch numbers and the developing bark etc.
Not sure if this tree meets the criteria you are looking at for the eworkshop but thought I would submit it in hope. If it is not suitable I will certainly be following the progress of the workshop.

Bst Rgds Kerry
Yes that looks fine. It is already potted and established now awaiting refinement and ramification.

Perfect material

Grant
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Grant,
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. This ash does not meet all the criteria but if selected I'll give it a red hot go.
It is a dug tree that came out of the ground in July 2010 so that's nearly three years. In that time nothing much was done to it except to water and fertilize. It is stable in the pot, in fact the pot is full of roots, however no root work has been conducted since it was dug. Unfortunately last Sunday at the local bonsai society meeting I gave it a severe haircut showing our newer members that cutting is OK and we shouldn't be scared to chop. It now stands about 25 cm tall and needs a bit of carving to improve the taper and take out the stub.
Like others if not selected that will be OK as I can learn from the sidelines.
Thanks
Watto

PS - great idea Steven (it can't hurt to p in the pocket of the boss!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Watto wrote:Grant,
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. This ash does not meet all the criteria but if selected I'll give it a red hot go.
It is a dug tree that came out of the ground in July 2010 so that's nearly three years. In that time nothing much was done to it except to water and fertilize. It is stable in the pot, in fact the pot is full of roots, however no root work has been conducted since it was dug. Unfortunately last Sunday at the local bonsai society meeting I gave it a severe haircut showing our newer members that cutting is OK and we shouldn't be scared to chop. It now stands about 25 cm tall and needs a bit of carving to improve the taper and take out the stub.
Like others if not selected that will be OK as I can learn from the sidelines.
Thanks
Watto

PS - great idea Steven (it can't hurt to p in the pocket of the boss!)
Hi Watto,

The steps you took last week were perfectly reasonable and probably the only way to go.

You did not cut too close to your new leader(correct!) and it looks like it will pop out new buds/branches all over.

Seal the cut surface and we will deal with that area later once new buds are there and have thickened etc.

Grant
Macros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm/Maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Macros »

As they are a weed they are not usually sold by general nurseries but you could try Trevor at Bonsai Art, collectors corner and the one out near Narre Warren; or the club sales coming up or club members etc

Grant

Thanks Grant,
I visited Collectors corner today, they didn't have any from what I could see, and I'm sure if they did, it would have been a price to high for me, I didn't have time to visit Trevor, and as I work 6 days a week, I don't thin I'll have time :(
Thanks for the response!!

Cheers,
Mac
Has it ever made you wonder, who was the first person to say " See that cow..... I'm going to pull on those pink dangelly things....and drink what ever comes out" ?
Haydenmc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, quince ....most things really
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Haydenmc »

Nice one,
Thanks Grant - I wasnt sure about the size, only because its about the biggest thing I've got.
I have been told it has been in the box for 2 years - and i have no reason to doubt that, although it is in a very heavy looking soil - so I would be pretty keen to get it into something a bit more friendly - my usual mix is equal parts, pumice 1-7mm, diatomite and zeolite with a bit of chopped shapgnum - what are your feelings on doing it this time of year in melbourne? I would normally hold off from about 2 weeks ago - but im not too concerned about doing too much root work at the moment - although there are a few awkward and heavy ones that were severed when it came out of the ground and where never removed.
It does have a fair bit of ugly callousing where cuts have been made previously - not a real issue, but certainly something that needs to be seen too.
Thanks for an interesting and exciting project!

H
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Not sure if this suitable, think it needs another season for the leader to catch up. Thought I would post pics and get your comments. If you would rather not accept it and let it grow on a bit I understand.
xyz.JPG
xyz1.JPG
xyz2.JPG
xyz3.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG
If I remember correctly I did some root work when I chopped and potted it.
As I say if this is not what your after I understand. I've been busy buying a house (moved today) and other stuff so haven't really looked at this tree (or any other) much lately so itching to get back onto them.

Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Haydenmc wrote:Nice one,
Thanks Grant - I wasnt sure about the size, only because its about the biggest thing I've got.
I have been told it has been in the box for 2 years - and i have no reason to doubt that, although it is in a very heavy looking soil - so I would be pretty keen to get it into something a bit more friendly - my usual mix is equal parts, pumice 1-7mm, diatomite and zeolite with a bit of chopped shapgnum - what are your feelings on doing it this time of year in melbourne? I would normally hold off from about 2 weeks ago - but im not too concerned about doing too much root work at the moment - although there are a few awkward and heavy ones that were severed when it came out of the ground and where never removed.
It does have a fair bit of ugly callousing where cuts have been made previously - not a real issue, but certainly something that needs to be seen too.
Thanks for an interesting and exciting project!

H
No need to do root work at the moment so better to leave. We will be working on the trunks and branches mostly.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Josh wrote:Not sure if this suitable, think it needs another season for the leader to catch up. Thought I would post pics and get your comments. If you would rather not accept it and let it grow on a bit I understand.
xyz.JPG
xyz1.JPG
xyz2.JPG
xyz3.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG
If I remember correctly I did some root work when I chopped and potted it.
As I say if this is not what your after I understand. I've been busy buying a house (moved today) and other stuff so haven't really looked at this tree (or any other) much lately so itching to get back onto them.

Josh
Looks OK and similar to a couple of mine at that stage; so should be OK.

Once the leaves fall or are cut it will be better to view.

Grant
soda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The last one i killed :-(
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by soda »

Hi Grant

Here tis. A few month shy of the 2 years, collected in August 2011.
It has some interesting features and some that need work and consideration. It would certainly benefit for some ramification in the young branches.

Thanks Soda
soda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The last one i killed :-(
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by soda »

And previous thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10147
Last edited by soda on June 3rd, 2013, 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Grant, This is the mess of a trunk that is my ash, collected 3 yrs ago it has been in the ground 2yrs (albeit with little care) as you can see it has extensive areas of deadwood & rot that will need attention but I am prepared to work it hard, even splitting into 2 trees is not out of the question.
ash1.jpg
ash2.jpg
As I have said, I am more than happy to forgo a spot in the workshops to allow room for the fantastic stock that is coming out of the woods, either way I know I am going to learn a lot from the process.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

MattA wrote:Grant, This is the mess of a trunk that is my ash, collected 3 yrs ago it has been in the ground 2yrs (albeit with little care) as you can see it has extensive areas of deadwood & rot that will need attention but I am prepared to work it hard, even splitting into 2 trees is not out of the question.
ash1.jpg
ash2.jpg
As I have said, I am more than happy to forgo a spot in the workshops to allow room for the fantastic stock that is coming out of the woods, either way I know I am going to learn a lot from the process.
Is there anything alive on the middle, smallest trunk?
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

soda wrote:Hi Grant

Here tis. A few month shy of the 2 years, collected in August 2011.
It has some interesting features and some that need work and consideration. It would certainly benefit for some ramification in the young branches.

Thanks Soda
Look good material for this workshop

Return to “eWorkshops”