Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Ash eWorkshop

Post by Grant Bowie »

Kerry wrote:Hi Grant & Steve,
I posted a pic of my Ash a few days ago to which you made comment. Since than I have noticed that you were asking for at least two photos.
Seeing that my first post showed the tree in leaf I have taken the opportunity to take some more photos today which shows the tree minus leaves.
I notice that there have been a few good submissions since my initial posting but I am still keen to participate if chosen.

Bst Rgds Kerry
Thanks very much,

Good photos with a plain background. Shows up good and bad points.

Cheers,

grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Kerry wrote:Hi Grant & Steven,
It's me again, I have submitted an ash smaller than this one for the workshop as I was not sure if this tree would meet the size criteria that you have suggested but have decided to submit it for your assessment.
The tree is 600 mm from the base and the trunk is 80 mm. Unfortunately the angle I have taken the side photo from seems to show a reverse taper of the trunk section near the second curve. In reality this is not the case so if you deem this tree worth considering I will take another photo from a better angle and submit it.
Thanks and bst rgds, Kerry
Looks OK so please take some more photos.

grant
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Grant ,
Thanks for the call on the Ash.They usually loose all there leaves,but pretty late in winter.I know the Mother tree has lost all of hers. My plants are still getting a fair bit of sun and are in a sheltered spot .Who knows with all this crazy weather what they will do.
Regards John.
Kerry
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Deciduous
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Victoria, Northern Suburbs Bonsai Club

Post by Kerry »

Hi Grant,
As suggested I have taken a couple more photos to show more clearly the 2nd bend aspect of the larger tree. I have also included a snap of the smaller tree from above to more clearly show the branch spread.
Photo 1 shows the tree from the LH side and demonstrates how the bends in the tree are in fact in a spiral form.
Photo 2 is a front LH aspect again to show how the spiral moves.
Must say that it is hard to get the 3D effect in photos to show what you actually see but I hope these help.
Have decided that I need to build a backdrop curtain for photos as juggling the marine ply sheet I used today is to difficult. Also seeing that it is being cut up for mesh sided grow boxes means it will not be available next time.
Rgds Kerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
けり
bouquet
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by bouquet »

bouquet wrote:Here are some pics of the Ash I would like to present for the workshop. I only have one but living in SA I am happy to work on this one as I should be able to get some more on digs.

I have already been told I should chop the first 2 branches about 1/2 inch just before spring. This is because they are a little to close together and I need to redo the branching there. Thoughts.

Any the tree is 38ish CM in height taken from the top of the soil. The nubby bit is 15cm in girth and just above is 10cm. I think it is dormant now but I still haven't removed all the leaves yet. I am still learning when to do this type of work.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
Hi Grant
Here are some photos exposing the base of the trunk a little more and showing some roots.
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
16.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bouquet on June 5th, 2013, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

[quote="bouquet"][quote="bouquet"]Here are some pics of the Ash I would like to present for the workshop. I only have one but living in SA I am happy to work on this one as I should be able to get some more on digs.
I have already been told I should chop the first 2 branches about 1/2 inch just before spring. This is because they are a little to close together and I need to redo the branching there. Thoughts.
Any the tree is 38ish CM in height taken from the top of the soil. The nubby bit is 15cm in girth and just above is 10cm. I think it is dormant now but I still haven't removed all the leaves yet. I am still learning when to do this type of work.

Hi Grant
Here are some photos exposing the base of the trunk a little more and showing some roots.

OK, Thanks very much for the extra yard you took to expose the top layer for me. Looking for the root structure and nebari, and a general clean up, are always good practice before a workshop.
Although not a fabulous root system it looks very stable which I couldn't tell before. It would therefore be Ok to work this year if selected or not.

Grant
Last edited by Grant Bowie on June 5th, 2013, 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

Grant Bowie wrote:
Josh wrote:Not sure if this suitable, think it needs another season for the leader to catch up. Thought I would post pics and get your comments. If you would rather not accept it and let it grow on a bit I understand.
xyz.JPG
xyz1.JPG
xyz2.JPG
xyz3.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG
If I remember correctly I did some root work when I chopped and potted it.
As I say if this is not what your after I understand. I've been busy buying a house (moved today) and other stuff so haven't really looked at this tree (or any other) much lately so itching to get back onto them.

Josh
Would you like me to take the leaves off so you can see it or would that not be good this time of year.
Looks OK and similar to a couple of mine at that stage; so should be OK.

Once the leaves fall or are cut it will be better to view.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Hi josh,

if you could cut off the leaves it would help assess the tree.

Tah,

Grant
joy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maples
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by joy »

Hi Grant,
I have two possible contenders for the workshop. They are both nursery stock of the same age. The first one has spent two years in the ground.The second one has been grown in pots only.
The ground grown one has a large root off to one side just visible in the photo.

Let me know if you need more photos.

Joy
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

joy wrote:Hi Grant,
I have two possible contenders for the workshop. They are both nursery stock of the same age. The first one has spent two years in the ground.The second one has been grown in pots only.
The ground grown one has a large root off to one side just visible in the photo.

Let me know if you need more photos.

Joy
Thanks Joy,

The photos are OK to make a decision on if the trees are OK for the eWorkshop.

Grant
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

Hi Grant, I have removed the leaves on my tree but can not upload any pics. We just moved house and I'm using mobile internet and for some reason it won't load any pics. Ausbonsai is not loading properly for me either for some reason. Don't know if it's the site or my internet. Our normal internet should be on tomorrow.
With internet issues and not being able load photos properly if you want to not use my tree I understand. I'm hoping it's sorted tomorrow when Telstra connect the internet.

Josh
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Josh wrote:Hi Grant, I have removed the leaves on my tree but can not upload any pics. We just moved house and I'm using mobile internet and for some reason it won't load any pics. Ausbonsai is not loading properly for me either for some reason. Don't know if it's the site or my internet. Our normal internet should be on tomorrow.
With internet issues and not being able load photos properly if you want to not use my tree I understand. I'm hoping it's sorted tomorrow when Telstra connect the internet.

Josh
OK,

No worries. I will be looking at the trees today and make a decision soon but hope you can upload your pics soon.

Grant
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Ash eWorkshop

Post by Josh »

I'll try loading pics with tapatalk.

Nope still not working.
Last edited by Josh on June 12th, 2013, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Josh »

photo 3.JPG

Finally I can post the photos. :clap: :clap: The new leader needs to catch up to the trunk. Branching has started but needs lots more work. Even if not chosen I will be following this thread very closely.
Last edited by Bougy Fan on June 12th, 2013, 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Rotate photos
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Josh wrote:
photo 3.JPG
photo.JPG
photo 2.JPG
Finally I can post the photos. :clap: :clap: The new leader needs to catch up to the trunk. Branching has started but needs lots more work. Even if not chosen I will be following this thread very closely.

Josh
edit and now the photos are sideways :palm: can a mod change this for me please :worship:
Hi Josh,

Thanks for posting. I think your own analysis of your tree is correct. The only option I can see at the moment, as is, would be a broom style; so you would either go with that or leave it for a year or two for the apex/trunk to thicken and taper.

I can help with some techniques to achieve the broom style but you could equally do it by yourself; or it may not suit Ash( I have never tried a broom style with Ash).

Grant

Return to “eWorkshops”