[360°] Callistemon 'Captain Cook'

The revolutionary way to view bonsai online.
Click here to visit ausbonsai 360° and start the new viewing experience...
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

[360°] Callistemon 'Captain Cook'

Post by Steven »

G'day,

I purchased this Callistemon from Ray Nesci earlier in the year after passing it up 12 months ago. It was one of those threes that I always regretted passing up and to my surprise, when I was last at the nursery, Ray ducked out the back where he had it put away for me :D.
callistemon-6.jpg
The entire centre of the tree, which was the original trunk, is stone cold dead and just crying out for some aggressive carving :twisted:
It stands 900mm from top of pot to top of tree, is 550mm wide and the trunk is 160mm think at the base.

Click here to see the tree in 360°

If anyone is interested in having a go at a virt, here are some shots from different angles;
callistemon-1.jpg
callistemon-2.jpg
callistemon-3.jpg
callistemon-4.jpg
Or you might prefer the following;
callistemon-7.jpg
I'm considering taking this one along to the Salvatore Liporace workshop at the AABC Convention this weekend. I am however concerned that it might not be the best choice as I don't think Salvatore will know anything about the species. What does everyone think? Should I take it and give Salvatore a crash course in Aussie natives or would I be better off taking something that he would be familiar with like a Juniper or Pine?

Maybe Grant would like to have a go with this one in his workshop?

Regards,
Steven
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steven on September 28th, 2012, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: [360°] Callistemon for Salvatore workshop?

Post by Watto »

My two bob's worth - give Salvatore someting that he is familar with, and that the callistemon to someone tallented with Aus Natives.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Here's and Idea Steven not a virtual but one I am working at the moment. No excuses for the Shari wiring just lazy. The carving has to be refined and the hollows allowed to go right to the bottom hole. They are not treated yet, as nature helps a great deal, in making cracks in the wood for you to follow.
That way it is more natural looking. I hope this helps, cheers :) Pup
P1090940.JPG
P1090941.JPG
P1090942.JPG
P1090943.JPG
P1090944.JPG
P1090945.JPG
P1090946.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

My experience with international masters... don't confuse them with Aussie Natives. They may be top notch with what they are familiar with but understandably approach our natives with some trepidation as they often simply don't know how the plants grow. You get better value for money working with a species they are familiar with and leaving our natives to a local master.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Love this tree.. so much potential & so many directions you could go.

I agree that Salvatore may prefer to work with something he knows... BUT.... is the workshop about how to care & grow a species or is it about styling? If its styling then really what difference does it make if its pine, juniper or callistemon?

I know I am showing my ignorance here but maybe someone like Salvatore might actually enjoy being put out of his comfort zone with a species he has probably never worked on before.. Is there any reason why a workshop facilitator cant also learn something from the experience?

J2MC

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Steven, At the end of the day I guess you have to ask yourself what are the differences between our natives and exotic trees. To my mind they are not great. Basic bonsai practices transcend international boundaries. OK our natives have some different pruning techniques but so do pines and maples, we root prune them in different seasons as we do with other tree species. Their feeding requirements may vary a little from other trees but thats not an obstacle. Salvatore is an accomplished bonsai artist who will be used to working on many different tree species, I am fairly sure that with a few pointers on the vagaries of our natives he will be more than able to work on your tree.
Often the Melbourne clubs drag me out to do talks on native plants and my approach is always to highlight the similarities (and they are many ) rather than the differences. I reckon this approach encourages more people to grow them.
Could be a good subject for a future thread
Craig
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

I have to agree with you Craig! It is us that have created the confusion in the past. We now need to leave the myths and legends behind and get on with, that they are trees just like any other trees. Steven i think this is a great canidate to get sorted by Salv. Warning; you are now entering CAT CITY!!! :P The stuff bonsai is made of. 8-) Have a ball i will see you in there! :D 8-) 8-) 8-)
Regards Antonio:
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Post by Leigh Taafe »

I too agree - native or not - this is great material for Sal to get sorted - should make a fine specimen.
I must admit, however, I wouldnt have thought of taking a native. In fact one person who booked his spot hit me up for some material and I went straight for an ezo spruce.
Either way - I reckon as long as the material has substance (native or not) Salvatore will help you create something special.
Cheers,
Leigh.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

I also agree in the affirmative. A master is a Master and if he is a professional demonstrator he would have worked on lots of species. I reckon it would help if you took a photo of one in flower to show him, so he can allow for that when he styles it. By the way, nice tree you lucky Bugger :D
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

So Steven, tell us, how did it go?
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Post by Amanda »

Hi Steven, was this worked on over the weekend?
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Steven »

Hi guy's,

I decided against taking this one to the workshop and instead took my Juniper squamata styled by John Naka in 1977. The Callistemon will require a lot longer than a 3 hour workshop to style.
I'll update the squamata thread with some pics as soon as time allows.

Thanks for your interest!

Regards,
Steven
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Hey Steven,

I think the water swept idea is the way to go but with your front somewhere between shot8 and 12 of the 360 shoot. Before you do anything tho I would be treating those ants, I find ant sand is the most effective & thorough, then you can rip into it :D Or you can let me rip into it for you :lol:

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
archie1979
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Elms & Hoping to get into Natives
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: none yet

Post by archie1979 »

Hey Steven,
They wouldnt be the little buggers you showed Matt and myself yesterday would it. I would use some of the little plastic ant traps you can get from the supermarket I think they are a version of ant rid. You need to make sure they contain permethrin though as its actually less toxic than salt. For organics anyway. The ants look like coastal brown ants from the brief look I got yesterday. You could also try using a chopstick with some bushmans insect repellant on it and push it down into the hole the little buggers are coming from. I dont really know if its bad for natives but in the almighty wisdom the military provides it for soldiers in the field to repel insects and I belive we are pretty native and it doesnt seem to hurt us :D YET!!!.

Or repot and kill them with a heavier duty killer.

It was great to meet you and Matt

Take care

Archie
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [360°] Callistemon 'Captain Cook'

Post by Steven »

G'day,

It's been 3.5 years since I last updated this thread. Time for an update.

I was fortunate to get a chance to do a Peter Adams Design Program on this tree back in July 2011. Following is how it was looking prior to the workshop.
2011 June (a).JPG
Peter and I discussed the tree at length and we agreed that the leaning trunk looked best. He proceeded to sketch his rough design.
2011 July (a).JPG
2011 July (b).JPG
2011 July (c).JPG
After a few hours work the initial styling was complete. The framework has been set with 6mm wire and it's now time to focus on the branching.
2011 July (d).JPG
After a couple of weeks I received Peters drawing and notes for the future development of my Callistemon. The drawing is now framed and proudly sits on my office wall.
2011 October sketch by Peter Adams.jpg
2011 October Sketch and future by Peter Adams.jpg
I commissioned a crescent pot from Penny Davis which I potted the tree into in March 2012. The pot is absolutely beautiful but I didn't think it was the right choice for the tree.
2012 March (a).JPG
The small trunk on the right was always too straight despite Peter and I putting a bit of movement into it. You can see in the picture above that there are a few small shoots that have popped on the branch and my plan was to encourage them to eventually replace the straight section.

6 months later and I shaped the foliage to follow Peters design. I wired some of the secondary branches including some of the new shoots.
2012 September (a).jpg
I pruned again in late March 2013 but then let it grow untouched so it could flower - From Pup's thread Bottle Brush Pruning.
2013 October (a).jpg
With the extra growth and flowers the current pot was really not matching. I looked around for a suitable one and decided on an old Pat Kennedy pot which I had on my bench with another Callistemon in it.
I repotted and gave it a hard prune in December last year and also cut off the long straight right hand trunk at the same time and wired up the new section to form the little apex. The new pot is a better fit but I think there still may be a better one out there somewhere.
2013 December (a).JPG
A month later and the tree has responded really well with a flush of new growth and lots on back shooting. There are some new shoots that have popped on the cut off little trunk that are in better positions to use for the small crown. I'll encourage them to grow and will probably end up replacing that foliage again.

The following picture was taken this morning after I gave it a light prune to shape. I'll continue to work on the ramification, improving the pads and the smaller apex. Also will keep an eye out for another slightly larger pot.
2014 January (a).JPG
Regards,
Steven

Return to “360° Bonsai Viewing”