Mel pot selection

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Mel pot selection

Post by Pup »

Hi again Sam, I am not into pottery yet :o , this is a Janet Selby pot I asked her to make for me when I was at the Tops convention in 2010.

So if you get in touch with her I am sure she will be able to help.

The other question, well we do live in the hottest state, and in the last 12 months we have broken a lot of records, like the longest spell over 32,degrees, longest spell without rain the coldest and driest July on record.

To answer, I do not have trouble with keeping them alive. I have said many times, I am amazed at the members in the East which is a lot more humid than WA, keep them IN water. Mine sit on gravel trays that have water trays under them.

I have trees less 4cm and they survive these conditions. The one concession is when it gets up to the 36/40+ I bury the small ones in the gravel.

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Samegyed
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Celtis
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by Samegyed »

Gravel tray's. That makes sense. So the potting mix stays moist and humid, while still being aerated.
Sounds like another project.

Thanx for the advise Pup,

Cheers,
Sam
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

OK All,

This is very much a personal opinion, and others may feel differently, but I think you need to guard against going too small on the pot. Again, a personal opinion, but I think the pot that Pup has chosen is a little bit small for his tree. I find the foliage mass on the tree a bit to big for the pot and to me (from the photo provided) it feels a little bit unsteady/unstable. I think the character of the pot is a good match for the tree though, and I like the way the pot colour picks up on the foliage colour. On Pup's tree, personally I'd have popped it into something similar, but about 15% larger. For Sam's tree, it may work OK because the foliage mass feels smaller. Pup's tree is certainly looking healthy, so the smaller pot is obviously an option.

I think you need to get the pot thickness to mirror the thickness of the trunk base, so I do feel that the two choices you have made are a bit heavy.

Cheers,

Andrew

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”