some bonsai that I like

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: some bonsai that I like

Post by Ryceman3 »

MJL wrote: March 15th, 2021, 8:38 pm Hey Greg, I too would prefer things didn’t get personal - and generally, we have a respectful forum but... sometimes ... well sometimes ... you’ve just gotta grab some popcorn and watch the show ... but look carefully at the script - some strong statements get lost in translation and rarely do they start out attacking a person per se .... rather commenting on a philosophy or idea ... and then, ... anyway, grab your popcorn and choc top ... ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ummm... sorry if this seems obvious MJL, but who’s Greg???
I feel like I’m missing something! If I am, I should probably apologise to Greg.
:crybye: :beer:
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Greg's post appears to have disappeared?
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi MJL, I'm in the process of making a cascade pot with a very strong woodgrain finish. I'll post a couple more of my pots when it's finished.
Treeman, sorry to get off topic with this.
Cheers, Frank.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Ryceman3 post_id=287018 time=1615768764 user_id=7464]

Firstly, I am assuming we are looking at this from a more “natural” styling viewpoint, if not the below just becomes diatribe.
The dead wood/jins etc all appear up the left side of the trunk yet the branching is positioned uniformly (perhaps if anything more on the left) which is counter intuitive to what would be expected in nature, even the apex is slightly offset to the left. I’d prefer to see the placement of the branching more weighted to the right to align with the story being told in the trunk.
I think you may have missed my point but I probably wasn't clear. My question was relating to the natural appearance of the branches, that is, their form which show some of the ''disorder'' and variability we see in natural trees. Not so much from a technical viewpoint with the portion in relation to the trunk or superficial balance, those kinds of things which are not to be taken too seriously when talking about natural. It may seem strange but you almost have to look through the tree without looking directly at it so you get kind of impression but without the details. I know it sounds a bit obscure. :palm: All in all, when ''I'' look at this tree, it gives me the feeling of a huge old real tree and for me that's what bonsai is all about.

As far as the shari is concerned, yes I would possibly prefer to see more of the living part but that's not really what this was about. Remember too that it's not just the prevailing weather which causes dead wood but often on old upright junipers it is caused by insects and bacteria/fungi which destroy the the living tissue so the positioning of branch weight in that case is not as influenced by the prevailing climate. But that's not really important here.

but I wouldn’t call it natural.
That's ok. I would like to see an example of what you would.
Mike
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

treeman wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:10 am That's ok. I would like to see an example of what you would.
I don't really have any of junipers to compare apples with apples, but a quick look through some images I have saved I found these that I think are indicative of what I would consider "natural".
Nat01.jpg
Nat02.jpg
Nat03.jpg
Nat04.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

Of all the contrived issues that probably bother me the most....its seperating the primary branches into different sections that frustrates me the most.
And I don't mean like Dr Seuss clouds, I mean they purposely style the trees so that the foliage and branching of all the main branch is completely seperated from the foliage and branching of the other main branch, and so on and so on.

Once you 'unsee' it, you'll understand how horribly contrived it is when compared to the majority of nature.

The easiest explanation is that the most contrived ones even have them so that you can look at one side of the tree and see all the seperated primary branches with their secluded foliage never impeding the line of sight of the next primary branch and so on and so on.

:palm:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Ryceman3 wrote: March 16th, 2021, 12:55 pm
treeman wrote: March 16th, 2021, 11:10 am That's ok. I would like to see an example of what you would.
I don't really have any of junipers to compare apples with apples, but a quick look through some images I have saved I found these that I think are indicative of what I would consider "natural".
Nat01.jpg
Nat02.jpg
Nat03.jpg
Nat04.jpg
Yep I like all those...except the last one.
Mike

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”