Fig direction advice

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Justin M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig, Australian natives
Bonsai Age: 3

Fig direction advice

Post by Justin M »

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to seek some quick advice for this (the tree isn't that far along).

I'm a bit undecided on the direction to take with the Ficus obliqua, that is what to chop: the thicker branch to the side, the main vertical branch, or both (and just leave the little branch as a new lead). Or should I just cool my jets and keep growing it as it to get solid? The trunks about an inch diameter and it's 40cm. It's getting some nice roots and I like the movement, just unsure on whether to go with a slanting style or more informal upright. Would love to hear some thoughts (even if I don't chop at all would love to hear what others would do in the future)!

Cheers,

Justin
fig2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Fig direction advice

Post by shibui »

I usually find if someone is having trouble deciding what to do that's usually because the tree has no real stand out features which means it can still be anything. In that case you need to make some decisions. At this stage there are no wrong answers. Whatever you decide is the correct decision so what do you want?

The leaning trunk is attractive and different from the vast majority but would mean a large cut to remove the bigger upright section.
Informal upright has a couple of advantages: already has 2 branches, good taper.
Chopping back to the smallest branch leaves 2 large cuts right above the other. My figs don't seem to heal fast anyway but with 2 cuts so close together that will be even slower and could possibly cause that side to die off. If going that direction I would remove on at a time over a couple of years to allow sap to rerout around the area and begin healing one before making the second cut. That option will give incredible taper but will be setting your final project back a few years at least.

If you still can't make a final decision between those 3 you could chop both larger trunks short but not completely off and wait for new shoots to grow. Those new shoots may even suggest something more than you have now.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

It helps to know your location when giving advice. Shibui's problem with figs healing slowly isn't really a concern in my climate (Sub Tropcical.)

You can add your location in the profile so you can receive targetted advice.

Personally I'd go with his last paragraph, and see where the tree takes you.
Pat3222
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Pat3222 »

G'day Justin, if it was mine I would chop the right branch off. Then wire some movement into the main trunk while it's young hoping to do the least lasting damage to bark. I assume you'll be moving it to the right so this option will give a kink, the right branch I suggested cutting is just an extension of the base if that makes sense. If you're happy with the result, great, worst case could chop that too and keep the smallest branch as fall back as already mentioned. Whatever you do, have fun with it!
Cheers
Justin M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig, Australian natives
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Justin M »

Thanks so much for the great advice Shibui, Mel and Pat! I love this forum and the community here.

I've updated my profile, I'm in Wollongong Mel, so a bit slower on healing for big chops.

I'll draw up a few of those possibilities, and have a play bending the lead up top. I like the idea that just cutting short can present new directions too.

I shall have fun with it! Hopefully I'll be able to post an interesting progression series in a few years!
Harshadg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus atlantica
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Harshadg »

Hi Justin,

I’ve been inspired by the figs around Wollongong to really pursue a multitrunk form with a couple of my PJFs. Several majestic examples in the Figtree, university area. I find that you can drive figs pretty hard here and they will reward you with wonderful growth over the course of the season.

If this were mine, I would put it in a grow box once the temperature rises a bit more (to spread out the roots), and provide lots of sunlight, water and fertilizer and just let it grow. You already have the possibility to pursue a multi trunk if you wanted to. But chopping back hard early on will give you at minimum more branching options by the time summer is done.

Cheers,
Harshad

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”