Good problem to have with dug azalea..?

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Matt Jermy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 6

Good problem to have with dug azalea..?

Post by Matt Jermy »

Hi all...
was browsing the 100yr old azalea photos .. wow .. and i thought i'd share one i've dug up but am 'stumped' - no pun intended...

- Have had in trainer for 2yrs now, recovering and developing 'canopy'..
- Can't see another 'front' due to gnarly 'hobbit-hole', and other angles showing scar from large branch removal (I know- shoulda 'jinned it...!!??)
- hard to develop girth on 'upper' section due to thick, gnarly lower trunk...

pls comment freely,
Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
astroboy76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Prunus, Malus, Quince, Elms
Bonsai Age: 2

Re: Good problem to have with dug azalea..?

Post by astroboy76 »

looks like it has some great potential. maybe not traditonal looking in regards to most azaleas we see but i quite like the character this tree has. if it was mine i would maybe decrease the width of the canopy and try to lower the front of the canopy a little
Diversity is essential
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

A jin would not suit an azalea and you would not do it so you were wise to remove the deadwood whether by design or accident. Yes, once the flowering is over I would start reducing the canopy. Since you collected it I presume the the surface of the soil is at the actual surface and there is no more nebari under the ground?

It is hard to tell from the photo but I think I would remove the left branch that is growing almost to the ground to give more open space around the wonderful base. Also, growing flowers takes a lot of energy from a tree and if you are still in the developmental stage it would assist the tree if you removed all the flower buds to allow the tree's energy to go into branch production. Hard the way it is looking but that's up to you. I've nipped all the buds off two azaleas I am working with because I need growth and I can wait until next year for flowers... but neither would have flowered to the extent yours is.

You have no apologies to make for this tree, it may not be the conventional straighter trunked azalea but you have something with so much character. Because it is heavily foliaged I would be starting to sort out the tree and make the decisions regarding the main branches and starting to shape it. Get your structure developed and next year the flowers. But that's me, I prefer to get the structure first and am not fussed if the flowers go. But suit yourself and be pleased with this little tree. It is going to be great.
Damian Bee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: If it looks worthwhile I will give it a go.
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by Damian Bee »

It would be nice to see some other angles there Matt, the base of the trunk is interesting. I don't think a straight trunk would suit at all. Don't go for the thickest branch and cut the rest, what else is on offer? ;)
nealweb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azalea
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Satsuki society

Post by nealweb »

What a great find. While it may not look like a classic, conventional azalea its wonderful because its very hard to find azalea stock with so much character in the trunk. There is loads of good advice here already. I'm sure with a little development it will shape up well. It certainly looks very healthy and well recovered from digging. My only thought to throw in is to think about shortening all the growth on the left and as it seems to have a flow to the right as is. Maybe develope a semi cascade or slanting tree going right. If you wanted to remove any major branches all together it may be wise to do it over two seasons. Cutting back and leaving a big stub, allowing that to grow some shoots for a year then removing it all the following season. Just to guard against loosing roots below the removed branch.
Can't wait to see this one develop.
Have fun...
neal.
aussie4bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Sakura Studio & B.F.A

Post by aussie4bonsai »

+Hi Matt
If the hobbit-hole is a worry try sticking a rock in it.
Barry
Glenda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Swamp Cypress, Bouganvillea,
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Mackay Bonsai Club

Post by Glenda »

aussie4bonsai wrote:+Hi Matt
If the hobbit-hole is a worry try sticking a rock in it.
Barry
Sorry Barry, but I love the hobbit-hole. I think it gives the tree tremendous age and character! It is going to be a great bonsai, Matt.

Glenda
"Knowledge is not a heavy thing to carry around" - JB Taylor (my father)
"The more you learn the more you earn" - JB Taylor
"There are exceptions to every rule, but to be an exception, you must first be exceptional" - Me
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Post by Amanda »

Lots of potential this little Azalea has. Great find, love the hobbit hole too :D
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)
Matt Jermy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt Jermy »

Thanx all for some great advice - i am just starting to use this forum more and more 8-)

@MelaQuin - so my gut feeling with the jin was ok? .. cool ..
.. u might be right about opening up the trunk too, and i am inclined to take NealWeb's advice and remove branch over
two seasons, my limited xp has found azaleas a little 'touchy' :cry:
It also makes sense with the flower removal .. i will prolly apply that to most of my azaleas to get some growth :roll:

I also agree with the character and love the 'hole' - its what drew me to it initially.
Have included a photo of aboot a yr ago that shows the branch structure a bit better, and would be better to 'photoshop' a virt from..
..will post a virt or two when i get to it ;)
hopefully someone can do one or two too ... :D
Matt Jermy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt Jermy »

..oops .. here it is :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”