Grewia advice sought

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
damo19
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5

Grewia advice sought

Post by damo19 »

G'day all,

I have an issue with my Grewia in that I don't really have a plan for its development that I'm comfortable with, and can't see where to take it. I have attached images from four angles, and I'm pretty sure I have the best front, although I have considered a slight turn anti-clockwise, but this I guess is secondary to future branch structure. I was considering a major chop, but wasn't sure if these will re-shoot well, especially considering its current condition.

I have also attached an image of where it was this time last year. I'm not sure why there was a great difference in foliage. The only things I can think of are:
-That it was re-potted last year, and wasn't this year. This leads me to think that I have not fed it well enough this year, or that it needs a yearly repot. I have found that it also goes better in the deeper pot, probably another sign that they could be dependent upon regular feeding.
-I was also wondering if the consistent rain and lack of sunshine has affected it. Any ideas?

I'm keen to get some advice on where to take the tree. I'm not happy with the lack of taper and movement in the trunk, as well as the horrible bulge (can't remember the name for it) two thirds of the way up. Although the nebari isn't text book, I'm happy with the character it gives the tree currently.

Cheers in advance,
Damo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Grewia advice sought

Post by NathanM »

Gday Damo!
From my experience with Grewia, they do shoot bak quite well. I've got one currently and styled another one 2.5months ago for a very good friend. Both have packed on tonnes of growth, hers which I cut back, styled and potted has new shoots (some even where I wanted them :D) and is growing well, and it has came out with dense foliage back along branches too :D The one I have I haven't styled or anything, but it's packed on alot of growth as well since spring has come on,
My advice would be too chop it, because I feel it's too tall for it's thickness. I'd chop it back to probably the first right or second left branch and pot into a big growing pot for a season or two and let it go nuts for a bit.
Just my opinion :)
Nathan
damo19
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5

Re: Grewia advice sought

Post by damo19 »

Thanks for that Nathan, along with my maple it looks as though I'll be doing some chopping in the near term.

Does anyone else have any advice on where I should chop?

Cheers,
Damo

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”