Thuja chop choices

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer Palmatum
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: The Bonsai Workshop

Thuja chop choices

Post by thoglette »

My first offering on the sacrificial altar of critiques & Virts

I discussed this in a post in Pines& Junipers which helped me pick front from back.

The tree, as I see it, is going formal upright.

The problem at the moment is that there's a little reverse taper from too many branches too close together - as pointed out by matlea.

There is a long sacrificial branch at the back and the middle of the tree needs some general tidy up. But I probably need to remove a third of the branches. The question: which ones.
front.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Thuja chop choices

Post by shibui »

My first cut would be remove the lowest back branch. It is growing from the same level as another branch and is contributing to the swelling at that level. Very important to remove extra shoots close to others. looks like there are other spots with more than 1 branch from the same level too but I can't tell from the pics which to remove. Removing branches might make it look empty initially but the remaining branches will fill out if they have the space and it will be far better in a year or 2.

Side shots seem to show branches extending quite long towards the front (or is that the back?). If this is so i would shorten them back. Even if the back branches are long they should be shortehed substantially. Back branches are important for depth but generally look better when shorter than side branches. Cutting will also help to produce more shoots to create denser foliage pads. Even from the front the branches seem excessively long for this tree. Shorten all long branches and remove any bits that only have foliage at the end to create a more tidy silhouette.

Quite difficult to imagine from pics and just as hard to explain. Hope some of this makes sense.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

shibui wrote: Side shots seem to show branches extending quite long towards the front (or is that the back?).
It is the back. The front has much better surface roots. (Left is left side of face etc)

This is perhaps a better shot of the back (from the back/right prior to removal of all the fine roots) Image
Last edited by thoglette on July 31st, 2012, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

shibui wrote: Very important to remove extra shoots close to others. looks like there are other spots with more than 1 branch from the same level too but I can't tell from the pics which to remove. <snip>
Shorten all long branches and remove any bits that only have foliage at the end to create a more tidy silhouette..
Perhaps something like this???
brutal_front.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by thoglette on July 31st, 2012, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Looks better already.
I'd be happy with that virt. at least you know how to use your 'hammer'. It might look a bit sparse now but I think it will fill out nicely in time but cannot do so while all the other branches are in the way. There is bit of a gap about 2/3 up that could probably do with a bit of foliage to the rear/left so if some shoots sprout let one grow there or maybe keep that branch but very short until something else shoots?

I thought the long branches would be at the back rather than the front? but when you look at the left side of a tree aren't the back branches then on the left :lost: Anyway, doesn't matter the point is that the tree will look better when back branches are a bit shorter than side ones.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

shibui wrote:I thought the long branches would be at the back rather than the front? but when you look at the left side of a tree aren't the back branches then on the left :lost: Anyway, doesn't matter the point is that the tree will look better when back branches are a bit shorter than side ones.
Sorry, trying to work out what to call "left" and "right" was a bit arbitary - I picked face based left and right (as below).
facing.jpg
So back branches (like hair) is on the right of the view of the left of the face etc. At any rate, thanks for the comments and advice - the tree is about three foot tall (90cm) with each branch the best part of 2cm thick at the trunk. So I need to build up some courage to get out the cutters.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

thoglette wrote:Perhaps something like this???
Turned out a little different - the "viewers left" branch (right from tree's perspective) was mostly going to the rear and, with a mate, causing reverse taper. Took the view that the trunk was most important and so off it came.
chop1.jpg
I will do an approach graft to get another branch there if nothing pops out. The tree is still slightly out of balance (like my photography today, hence only one, pre-cropped, shot). But it was still useful for me - it's funny how a photograph shows me things I can't see when looking at the tree in "real life"

The next challenge is - what pot next? I want something a little wider - Currently round, perhaps oval or rectangle in brown or tan??? :?:
Last edited by thoglette on August 19th, 2012, 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Looks good. well done.
I would not be in too much of a hurry to fill in the space on the left. In my opinion it gives the tree something more than if it were 'full' and 'regular'. Hope that makes sense.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

shibui wrote:Looks good. well done.
I would not be in too much of a hurry to fill in the space on the left. In my opinion it gives the tree something more than if it were 'full' and 'regular'. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks Shibui. I'll see how it fills out over summer - I've put it in a larger, retangular terracotta pot which should allow it to put on some bulk throughout the warmer months.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

thoglette wrote:I've put it in a larger, rectangular terracotta pot which should allow it to put on some bulk throughout the warmer months.
2012-11_thuja.jpg
I've left the lower branches long to try and encourage some thickening, particularly the left lower branch.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

Becoming a progression series :-) Time for a tidy up
thuja.jpg
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

I like this tree.

However I do get the feeling that all the branches (in particular the lower ones) are a bit too long for the proportion of the tree.

Coming along well though and it's good to see the progression from the start of this thread.
Last edited by Boics on June 12th, 2013, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

Boics wrote:...I do get the feeling that all the branches (in particular the lower ones) are a bit too long for the proportion of the tree.
Thanks for the comment.

I am deliberately letting the lowest branch grow unhindered to both thicken the trunk (and hopefully remove the hint of reverse taper) and to thicken it. It is a little thinner than the higher branches.

The whole tree is overdue for a trim and I think I'll be pretty brutal on the rest of the tree. You comment will encourage me!
Last edited by thoglette on June 13th, 2013, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

thoglette wrote: The whole tree is overdue for a trim and I think I'll be pretty brutal on the rest of the tree. You comment will encourage me!
Also had some advice from my olders and wisers on the weekend. Results below. Seasol and food have been applied - if the current warm weather continutes it'll take off in a hurry.
2013-06-30_thuja.jpg
Photo is wonky - tree needs to be repotted "straight"
Last edited by thoglette on July 1st, 2013, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thoglette
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by thoglette »

thoglette wrote:Seasol and food have been applied - if the current warm weather continutes it'll take off in a hurry.
A few months later, post trim. Lower (viewer's ) left branch is being left alone to thicken up, lower right branch is being dragged forward as suggested by Pup - the next repot will rotate the plant to bring that branch forward too.
013_sm.jpg
Last edited by thoglette on December 26th, 2013, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”