Dwarf Crepe myrtle

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Dwarf Crepe myrtle

Post by Elmer »

Recently acquired this from a friend, not sure what if anything I should change. 8yrs old.
IMG_20180708_160736_251.jpg
IMG_20180708_160804_788.jpg
IMG_20180708_160837_542.jpg
IMG_20180708_160914_829.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Dwarf Crepe myrtle

Post by shibui »

That is a nice little trunk. Plenty of interesting bends and good taper.
A couple of the branches seem to be very straight. I guess someone has let them grow fast, probably in a single year. Bonsai always seem to look better when all the parts are similar so I would be trying to get plenty of bends into the branches so they reflect the trunk. You'll have to have a look and see if you think you could put appropriate bends into them with wire but sometimes it is better to cut them short and grow new branches from the new shoots that will form after pruning. Fortunately crepe myrtle shoots extremely well after pruning.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

As always Shibui is correct.
Great trunk, time to restart all the branching.
Whilst you could persevere with some of the bits and pieces it's not worth it.
Chop em all back just before bud burst I reckon.
See what pops up in terms buds, pick a trunk line and start the process.
Keep us posted, I see a great future here.
P.s. I've been defoliating my CMs up to 3 times a season.
Helps immensely with ramification.
Last edited by Boics on July 8th, 2018, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Aah, a tree with great bones.
The advice given is all good and correct, but I just want to see it in a year or three.
Please.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

Hi Elmer
Agree with what's been said. However!!!
Mate there's one thing you could definitely change on this CM.
That would be its address. My place is available to accommodate that change :yes:
I have looked long n hard for a CM trunk like that to collect in Sydney without luck yet. That's a beauty.
I would be doing as Boics suggests with branches or at least removing/regrowing long strait bits.
Then I would pop that puppy in the ground a few years if it were mine.
:beer:
Last edited by robb63 on July 8th, 2018, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I agree with everyone else, that's a beaut trunkline, and will give you plenty to go on with. TBH I prefer the side views to the front and back, but that's just me. Wait til you see some buds, then you should be able to choose some good spots to prune those straight bits away. I waited a couple of years with mine, before I finally saw the light, so I'm having to grow a good deal of it back again, but they are pretty good at reshooting on branches, (not necessarily so much on the trunk, I've found.)

If you want flowers you will need to get all your pruning done by the end of October, (generally,) then if you let it grow it should produce flower buds.

Good get, well done!
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmer »

Shibui, I don't think my wiring skills are up to the challenge especially with such snappy wood. My friend got it two years ago when it had been freshly dug from the ground and he wanted it to gain strength. I took a lot off recently but with your input think I will go harder on the branches. Thanks

Boics, thanks for the tip re defoliation.

Robb63, no chance mate, I have always loved CM and this was a score even to my untrained eye. I really like the current trunk size would ground growing again throw the proportions out?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

Elmer wrote: I really like the current trunk size would ground growing again throw the proportions out?
Yep. If you’re happy with the trunk girth no need to ground grow from here. I think it looks fine proportionally, time to look at the branching I think. There’s plenty to like in this tree. :yes:
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

For me, the lowest left branch is parallel and close to the big branch/trunk thing that is more important. I think it needs to go. Don't be afraid to cut hard - the general rule is, if it's straight/dull/irritating, get rid of it. Sooner the better.

Please keep posting. Down here where it's cooler I can prune back twice before I let it run for flowering - that seems to be a good compromise between good flowers and keeping some kind of form to the tree.

Gavin
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmer »

Following the good advice received a few months ago I gave this a hard cut back, having just trimmed for a second time this spring I thought I would share some updated pics.
crepe1.jpg
crepe2.jpg
crepe3.jpg
crepe4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the update, it is appreciated.
There has been a lot of good advice given for CM's and now that is there for everyone to consume.
If I may put my next order in, a photo during flowering please.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deleros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Rosmarinus Officinalis
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: None

Dwarf Crepe myrtle

Post by Deleros »

There is something I still don't like from this tree, and it's the first/second branches position.
Both of them grow up from the central trunk at the same direction, this is something you barely will find in nature. Of course you can have living examples, but they will be the rare ones..

The first/segon branches mostly grow to opposite sides one from the other.
By extension, if you have a look at your tree from the top, two consecutive branches must never be more proximate than 20'-30' dispersion.

What I would do: cut one of them and promote a vertical separation between the first and third (now second) branch on the right..

Image Image

As I see you have moved down the rear branch, I would use it as ichi. If you prefer to use the frontal one because trunk is wider, that's fine also. But you need to grow it large to make it wider and more similar to initial part of the branch.

At same time, you may wire the selected branch to have a natural movement. Down branches usually grow in horizontal, grow down, and grow up at the end. This is because of the weight of the branch.

Regards!

instagram: Deleros Bonsai
Visit me at: El Jardí Petit
Last edited by Deleros on November 23rd, 2018, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Elmer »

Thanks for your input Deleros, that first branch is an issue still. I was thinking of air layering it but really don't know why as I have no room for the trees I already have let alone another, it will get the chop soon enough I think
Max
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: grow chop snip

Post by Max »

i thought removing the second branch would be the better option, creating negative space
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Starting with a few caveats:-
1. I am reasonably hungover from a poker night which is effecting my ability to think clearly but I need something to take my mind off my headache....
2. I am not sure I think clearly in a normal state ....
3. I feel uncomfortable offering advice on trees that are better than anything I own but .... refer point 1.

On this tree - great bones but these photos below explain what jumps out at me - headache and all.
IMG_5568.jpg
IMG_5569.jpg
I think whatever that branch is ... I think it is the lowest branch but I get confused by photo angles ... it may be worth sending that branch on an excursion to the green bin....

Also - I think you have already removed the straights bits of the branches ... and if so, we’ll done.

Anyway ... I won’t be offended if my thoughts are ignored - whatever you do - you have a fantastic foundation and I look foreword to future updates.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”