Juniper design/future

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
rockkcorful
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 3

Juniper design/future

Post by rockkcorful »

Hello without demanding anyone style my tree for me I’m stuck and constantly changing my mind on the sdesign/future of this tree which I’m glad to do.

Wondering if anyone can help on any ideas or virtual designs, I hope to one day grow the tree tall
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Juniper design/future

Post by MJL »

Hi Rockkcorful,

Ok - I’ll have a crack .... unfortunately I cannot copy your picture to draw on ...so words will have to do.

:crikey: This is tough stock ... as is often the way with this type of juniper, it is difficult to thicken the trunk or get any meaningful taper / especially with no sacrifice branches down low ....

I get that you want a tall tree but with no taper and limited interest in the trunk; I am not sure there’s much of a future.

An obvious suggestion is Literati style ... but again - it’s a reasonably plain trunk but you could go that way - similarly you could bend and make some kind of cascade - but again, meh!

Sooo - tall tree wishes aside ... I’d squash it down to within an inch of it’s life. Take advantage of the movement down low - use some thick wire and spend a few months twisting and pushing such that the green top ends up near the ground, offset on a gnarly twisted trunk.

Why am I suggesting this ... you might be able to create some interest and ‘disguise’ the sameness of the trunk width ...

I won’t be offended if you completely ignore my suggestion ... I usually let my creative side get ahead of my skills! :palm:

Good luck whichever direction you head; enjoy the journey.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Your tree is all there, I would just define it, don t make it to busy..fill the head in, reach with the two right branches, slightly lift the left main side branch up, don t reach as much as the right, yes taper we all like it, you don t have it at this stage, so we use what we have for now, balance foliage to trunk volume for now..the fat will come in time, remember enjoy your tree..its all about time (age) be patient.

Hope their is something for you... cheers Anthony
phpwDGuLsAM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

While we are making our minds up on a direction for the tree, the material is growing and evolving in its own way. Things change, so do our plans. We look at things differently with time, experience, age etc. When we have a bonsai, keeping it the same is impossible. It’s a living canvass. Don’t feel bad about changing your mind.

If you want a bonsai from the material, look at duplicating traits from something real in the style you want. If it’s tall do you want literati? Informal upright, slanting... only then will you likely get meaningful suggestions.

Good luck!
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

and Rockkcorful... let me add, AnthonyW and Daluke have me well covered in design and bonsai experience. I should always put a 'caveat emptor' by my posts. :palm:

As noted, whatever path you choose - enjoy the addiction.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

To encourage a little girth and character to the trunk, you could add some sections of shari.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
rockkcorful
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rockkcorful »

Thankyou all for replies, am defiantly looking towards literati just having a bit of a blank when it comes to achieving branches
rockkcorful
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rockkcorful »

Threw some wire and a clean this afternoon. Still unsure and I’m sure there’s some of you out there with some great ideas for development and future.
rockkcorful
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rockkcorful »

After a little sun and couple re adjustments
rockkcorful
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rockkcorful »

Sooo update. This afternoon I was watering and had a play with one branch and then that led to one thing and I have re designed this tree again.

Only need to do something about that trunk being so thin now
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels

Post by Ryceman3 »

I like your new stuff better than your old stuff! :yes:
The trunk thickening thing however - I’m afraid I think that is going to be a long term dilemma... :roll:
I like the remodel though, I think it improves it for sure. Hopefully the trunk has enough meat to hold that line.
:beer:

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”