Eucalyptus restyle - have your say

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Eucalyptus restyle - have your say

Post by MJL »

Gee I like that virt. Well played Pearcy! :yes: :clap:
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

As much as I like upper half of the tree, no matter how I look at it, the 'S bend' trunk grates my eye. If you want the tree to look like a Euc then your only option is to cut the trunk and regrow minus the deciduous styling. If you like the trunk the way it is then simply enjoy it as it is and tinker with the branches. Personally I really like the last virt with the deadwood and think that is the way to go if you chose to keep the trunk as is.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Thanks again everyone who replied, and to Pearcy for that virt. I like the extensive deadwood, it adds a lot of Australian character. Some more to think about....

As I stated before, this tree is lacking some of the characteristics of a true gum, especially with the initial angles of the primary branches that can't be fixed without chopping them back to the base and starting again, and to be honest I don't think the trunk is so amazing that it would be worth it. I'm also a little wary of sacrifice branches on this species as it can suck the life out of the remaining tree. I'll just keep tinkering with this tree, enjoy the ramification and use the knowledge gained to try and make other Eucs better.

It's been an interesting thought experiment. More ideas are welcome.

Matt.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

Matt S wrote: February 16th, 2020, 9:49 am I'll just keep tinkering with this tree, enjoy the ramification and use the knowledge gained to try and make other Eucs better.
I think that's the answer for me - this was never a euc intended to look like a natural euc, more just to see if traditional techniques and styles could work on a native. And the answer is a resounding yes - the ramification is amazing, and the shape is really cool so long as you don't say "I'm trying to make it look more like a eucalyptus".

Now I'm leaning towards leaving it as it is.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey Matt,

After work today, I was walking to my car from the station and I noticed this tree. I know it is a street tree and and thus affected by man's pruning but it reminded somewhat of your tree. Now I see it, perhaps not ... my memory must be average ... alas, I'll post the shots anyway. :)
IMG_8256.jpeg
IMG_8255.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”