Opinions of Exhibition Display Setup

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Opinions of Exhibition Display Setup

Post by Watto »

At the Goulburn Bonsai Society exhibition last weekend there was an interesting display setup and I am interested in the opinions of people. Each year at the show a member or two try to have a display that is a little different to the norm and I would appreciate your opinions on this display.
Last year it was the "floating rosemary" and this year its the "olive on the mountain".
The photos of the exhibition will be loaded this afternoon, trust me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: Opinions of Exhibition Display Setup

Post by greg27 »

I think this is one I'd really need to see in person - it's hard to get a feel for eye-level and all that from a photo - but the "mountain" grabs my attention before anything else and holds onto it a bit. It does taper up and lead to a powerful, chunky little olive but then I go back to the mountain again.

Definitely interesting, and my feeling is it works better in person than in a photo. Nice tree, and I love the pot.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Spatially the two elements may have been better positioned not on the parallel, but rather the accent plant bought closer & the tree/stand a little further back - create some depth?
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Greg, the olive needs some wire I reckon but the pot is by Marie Hewartson, very nice.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Good eye KCAR, we should all know that the accent plant and the bonsai should not be parallel and that small change may have improved the display.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

It caught my eye when scrolling through the pics, especially because it would have brought the tree up to a good viewing height. We don't get to see trees in a nice viewing position very often! Agree with KCAR about the accent position. Contrast between accent stand and bonsai stand is extreme, but my main concern is that the red can be a little too much of an eye-catcher, and overwhelms the accent a little. Overall an interesting display, thanks Watto!
TajikBen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by TajikBen »

I agree with Greg27 that the large mountain stand is visually overwhelming. It is very interesting, but my eye keeps going back to the mountain. Perhaps if it were a darker colour? Certainly attention grabbing!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I agree with both Mel and KC&R... and Greg27 for that matter (I guess that is pretty much everybody!)
The "mountain" also caught my eye when scrolling through the images, but like Mel, I'm not sure about the table under the accent and how it relates to it.
My thoughts would be to pull the accent forward to alleviate the lack of depth (KC&R's point) and swap out the accent table for a burl or something similar perhaps that might represent a lake or something at the base of the mountain??
Dunno ... at this point I'm pretty happy to see any display on offer - even if it is remotely! Thanks for the relief Goulburn... :P :yes:
regwac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by regwac »

Great to see some innovation. More of this and each succeeding display will get better .
I agree with other writers that the mountain is visually dominant , but we must all remember that a two dimensional photo changes perceptions considerably.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Looks like we are on a roll in relation to the dominant mountain, may need a bigger bonsai to off set this?
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Watto wrote: October 5th, 2020, 1:24 pm Looks like we are on a roll in relation to the dominant mountain, may need a bigger bonsai to off set this?
How would you add a bigger bonsai? I'd have thought if it overhangs at the edges that would ruin the whole effect? Perhaps you could slice it into four and make a table to fit in the top, that would take away the whole solid base feel, give you a wider surface, and feed more interest towards the tree?
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Mel I was thinking maybe the "mountain", the pot and the tree all point in the same direction which maybe a bit too much "sameness". A semi-cascade tree with some variation away from the straight up and down may work?
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

*double post
Last edited by Pearcy001 on October 6th, 2020, 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

I think the visual mass of the mountain wouldn't be so harsh if the colour was darker. At the moment it is essential that same colour as the tree, giving you no contrast. I've done a crude paint job to show the difference a darker 'mountain' would make to drawing your eye up to the tree. The accent stand is wrong for me too unfortunately. I just painted it darker for the example, but would personally go for something more natural like the burl suggestion.

Cheers,
Pearcy.
20201006_082620.jpg
20201006_083012.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Not to my taste but nice to try different things to normal.

I think the comment about the colour is valid, it really dominates the whole, and the tree shrinks in significance forcing you to consciously focus on the tree to see it (at least in the photos( with the stand and the pot being pretty much the same colour.

Maybe displayed on a rough pieces of natural rock, or a fibreglass painted equivalent due to weight constraints could be a better way of creating the mountain without the jarring uniformly cylindrical ‘stand’ drawing the eye so strongly.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”