trident maple forest

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
nozila
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

trident maple forest

Post by nozila »

Hi all,
I thought I’d put together some maples into a forest formation. Want some feedback on what you think.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: trident maple forest

Post by MJL »

Hi Noz,
I like forests and group plantings and have a few thoughts from my experience with starting forests with younger trees like these.

I reckon the way that you've positioned the trees works. The thicker tree at the front and then a range of different thicknesses and spacings - with three tree slightly offset to the left - looking good.

Moving forward, be opened-minded. Some folk will say just let em' go and grow now as it is all about thickening the trunks, others might say look at creating different heights ... there are many different views and approaches; some better than others but none really right or wrong - if that makes sense.

Me - I like shaping/cut 'n' grow from the get go .... so from now until eternity - when you are trimming - think about the trees in the context of each other ... it might mean that it takes ages for things to thicken up but... in a few years, my experience suggests, that you'll have a young group that makes sense and doesn't look banged together; rather grown together and looking cool.

This does not mean you cannot change the design - indeed, I am pretty sure you will because ....for all our efforts to control them - trees are trees and they will do what they will - sometimes that will frustrate you - sometimes you will be delighted by adventitious buds right where you want them.

So go with the flow - and enjoy - whatever the direction you and the forest travel. I wrote this a few years back (see below) - I still subscribe to most of the ideas. :)

https://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/view ... ts#p263834
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: trident maple forest

Post by shibui »

Agree with the design - good placement an variety of trunk thickness and spacing.
The trees look way too tall for my liking but that's something you can fix easily at a later date if you decide to. Usually in group bonsai the thicker tree will also be the tallest. I guess that's what our minds expect to see in any group of trees - the oldest tree is the thickest and tallest. From that feature trees the trunks step down in height toward the edges and back.
At some stage some cleaning up of inner branches will make it look better too. When trees grow close together the stronger branches are the ones near the outside that have access to more light. Inner branches either don't develop or die off from shade.

It is not recommended to transplant deciduous trees this late in spring. How much root did you need to cut to get these together like this? They are trident maples so I think they have every chance of surviving. Tridents I have transplanted this time of year often drop all the leaves soon after root pruning but most sprout new leaves in a few weeks. Please let us all know how these ones respond.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”