Poll: Opinion on front for Chinese Juniper

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.

Looking to add a Shari to this Chinese juniper but unsure which option is best

Poll ended at January 6th, 2021, 7:35 am

Option A
44%
Option B
56%

Total votes: 18

Neosdad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Neosdad »

I have this decent sized Juniper I would like to eventually add a Shari to. I'm struggling a little on selecting a "front" for it.

Option A has a larger base but more flaws. Option B has smaller base, but less flaws. Thoughts?
ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: Poll: Opinion on front for Chinese Juniper

Post by greg27 »

I much prefer option B. There's nicer flare at the base in option A as you say but B offers a much nicer overall tree IMO.
Brekel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tas natives

Post by Brekel »

I like A.
It may have more flaws, but they can be worked on or hidden over time. I like the base flare, and also the way it progressed into a lean above that. With B, even ignoring taper/flare the lower section feels a bit straight. It has great movement at the top, but something about A just feels more harmonious to me, and I think it could become a really beautiful tree.
Nothofagus-Melaleuca-Leptospermum-Lagarostrobos-Cedrus-Acer
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I'm going to say A, because i think the base has a better and more even looking flare here, and if you go with a significant visual piece of dead wood as is common for Junipers to show the dead up against the living, you have the entire left hand side to work with to create the dead wood with.

You would then have the choice of having a windswept style tree with no foliage to speak of on that left hand side, or manipulating some of the lower branches of the top growth down to the left to interact with the dead wood, or perhaps grafting if that isn't achievable.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Option A has more interest for me - celebrate the flaws.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Neither of those strike me as good fronts. Who wants a tree where the first branch sticks straight out at the viewer.
It is also not clear whether the apex goes forward or back in the 2 options shown

Nebari and tachiagari (lower trunk) are not the only considerations when choosing the best view of a bonsai. The whole tree needs to be considered and often the choice is a compromise rather than the best of one thing.

I would like to see the rest of this tree.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

shibui wrote: December 6th, 2020, 7:20 pm Neither of those strike me as good fronts. Who wants a tree where the first branch sticks straight out at the viewer.
I agree (but was hesitant to say so).
I'd be grafting new branches.
matlea
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by matlea »

Option C
Per PF
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Casuarina
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Swedish Bonsai Association

Post by Per PF »

I went with B, but as others have implied there might be a better option still? Maybe change the planting angle or graft some branches? The first section is a bit straight imho.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Good point about the branch coming straight out in option A.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Neosdad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neosdad »

shibui wrote:Neither of those strike me as good fronts. Who wants a tree where the first branch sticks straight out at the viewer.
It is also not clear whether the apex goes forward or back in the 2 options shown

Nebari and tachiagari (lower trunk) are not the only considerations when choosing the best view of a bonsai. The whole tree needs to be considered and often the choice is a compromise rather than the best of one thing.

I would like to see the rest of this tree.
Rest of the other 2 angles are not worth the post as there is a large flat cut on the other side and I only posted the 2 best options available to me.

The first branch does stick out a little but then takes a hard right twist for option A. This is easily rectified with option B by repositioning it in Option B.

I haven't had any experience with grafting, but I take it grafting a branch and for it to be large enough to be a viable primary branch would take 5+ years given the slow growth rate??

So far it seems fairly split between option A and B. Image

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

With all due respect for your thoughts, opinions and bonsai experience. You are asking for other input but then want to limit our input. Dead wood is frequently on junipers to give a sense of age and survival. In junipers dead wood is often seen as a vital part of the design. A large, flat cut does not preclude that side being used as a front, especially with junipers.
Cuts can be hollowed out and incorporated into shari on the trunk. Redundant branches are frequently converted to jin. With the right techniques and some imagination dead sections become a valuable feature rather than flaws to hide.

If the 2 options shown are really the only options I think B would be the better given that first branch however moving it back to the left will leave a large empty area on the right.
Empty space on older junipers is often filled with branches brought down from other parts of the tree so that could also be an option to fill space. Dead wood is another option to add interest to otherwise vacant parts of juniper design. It looks like the apex is still young and flexible enough to be moved but it is important that the top part of the tree should lean a little toward the chosen front and it appears from the photos that it is currently moving away in both these options.
The current apex has been wired to a point. Best practice for the upper part of a tree is for a flattened or domed apex to simulate a mature tree. Younger trees grow with a pointed top, older trees develop a more rounded top as they mature.

This tree is yours so the final choice is also yours.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DavidN
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest Inc

Post by DavidN »

Have you considered creating a shorter tree using those lower branches? Run shari down the left side, foliage on the right and air layer the top off to create another tree.
Please excuse my poor virtual using Paint but just wanted to share what I was thinking.
Great stock BTW.
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
President Bonsai Northwest Inc
Bonsai Northwest Inc - Melbourne http://www.bonsainorthwest.com.au
Neosdad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neosdad »

Thanks @shibui. I had another look at the "ugly" side and must say, you have a point. It looks like there could be a third option with a large Shari could add over several years. I dismissed it early on and never looked at it again! That and the fact I'm a little fearful of adding a Shari as I have not done this before. I'll try and add a picture of this side when I get the chance.

The apex (top 1/3) is definitely flexible and can be moved in any direction so I'm not too concerned about that. But good tip about the dome apex.

@DavidN interesting idea about creating 2 trees! Some new ideas here for me to think over.

Neosdad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neosdad »

Option C and D uploaded!
Option D could have some potential by bringing down the apex towards the front and left. ImageImageImage

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”