Large Prunus Nigra

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
yamadorikid
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Backyard bonsai school

Large Prunus Nigra

Post by yamadorikid »

Hi all,

I was able to grab this large Prunus few months ago and since then iv never been able to start on where i can move towards designing this tree.

its starting to really bud out now and ill let it grow for this season.
Its quite large at around 1m tall and nice large trunk even though its pretty straight tapered.

This is the only front that i can use, as the other angles have other large branches near the bottom of the base.

I look at this tree everyday for the last 2 months to try figure out what i can do and have chopped and changed many times .

I have just recently found a potnetial design that i can try which is the last photo, kind of like a cascade type of design, ill need to do abit of carving on the larger branches on the top and also carve out the bottom little branch at the bottom right.

Just wondering if anyone can see anything special in this material, and if there is another design that might suit what i have.

thanks everyone for your time.

Image-1 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: Large Prunus Nigra

Post by Akhi »

That's a solid trunk and will look beautiful in bloom. Your approach to leave alone and allow to recover over this season is spot-on, they respond really well from my experience to ferts and water. See a basic suggestion for the trunk. It doesn't look like it has a lot of taper but that branch low down can help is gorwn as a sacrifice branch.
IMG_20220928_090804.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yamadorikid
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Backyard bonsai school

Post by yamadorikid »

Hi Akhi,

I like the design that you have suggested, i also thought of that design initially and actually, it might be better to do this design first as i wont need to chop any of the large branches off.

This will make better use of the larger trunks up the top, and this will make it more of a statement tree as its a larger piece of material.

I like the idea of the leader at the bottom to thinken up the base. Ill deffinetely do that!

thanks
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Just wanted to say - welcome to the plum club. :clap:
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”