Buxus

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
rch003
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple/Ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Buxus

Post by rch003 »

Heyo, bought this buxus and big w for $9 :)

Just need some ideas on what to do, it looks kinda twin trunk, i was thinking about going a small broom style, front looks kinda dud with all the growth near the trunk, began to pinch off shoots from the branches and trunk, what should i do guyz :)
back.jpg
back1.jpg
buxus.jpg
front.jpg
inside front.jpg
This is an idea i was thinkin, shorten it down to its major branches, prob would be about 10cm high or would an informal upright look better?
idea.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I use the real world to distract myself from bonsai and I use bonsai to distract myself from the real world.
rch003
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Buxus

Post by rch003 »

Another view of proposed idea
idea2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I use the real world to distract myself from bonsai and I use bonsai to distract myself from the real world.
rch003
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rch003 »

:bump:
Mitchell
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFFF00]Aus[/color][color=#40FF40]Bonsai[/color]

Post by Mitchell »

Think that's a great idea mate! I'd clip it down low and then wire he new shoots as the canopy. I have often thought of getting one of these to try a shonin with it.

So are you going to chop it down? :)
Last edited by Mitchell on December 29th, 2010, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Mitchell.

"It is one thing to shape a tree into form, but when you are able to convincingly deceive ones perception of reality, something much more is accomplished than just a simple bonsai."

"In a perfect world, we would all be giants and all plants Bonsai."

"Grow big, finish small."

Image Join Ausbonsai today Click Here! Image
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

uummmm something like this maybe
R0013229.JPG
R0014444.JPG
This is a Podocarpus I got this year & chopped up. It has been residing in this pot for 4months now & has just had a trim of new growth. Will be years before it becomes anything more if I keep it in this pot but i was bored & it was a new species for me....

I reckon you follow your inner eye & you will find the tree that is going to be best for you. Just remember no matter how much you want it to be a broom or upright or cacscade or whatever... the tree may have other ideas & make it toally clear thats what it is going to do no mater what you want :lol:

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
rch003
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rch003 »

Yeah fair enough mate, it kinda has a twin trunk/really thick main branch, kinda stuffed up, so i 95% will chop it back, and see what happens :D
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

rch003 wrote:Yeah fair enough mate, it kinda has a twin trunk/really thick main branch, kinda stuffed up, so i 95% will chop it back, and see what happens :D
Sounds good to me....

I cut this one back a little hard... its ok it will come back....
R0014466.JPG
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
rch003
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by rch003 »

Hahhaha just a little? :P

Yeah this will be my first time cutting something back, usually i just get a tree and prune, but alot of people have said that cutting back yields good results on mis shapped trees.i'll need sealant before i chop though :P so it might be next spring when it happens

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”