Rhus (Toxicodendron succedaneum)

Post your bonsai for critique by members. Virtual designs and restyles are encouraged.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Rhus (Toxicodendron succedaneum)

Post by MattA »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I have to start with this little exert I found while looking up the new name for this tree.....
"The rhus tree (Toxicodendron succedaneum) is the most dangerous plant in Australia." Don Burke (The most dangerous tv gardener in Australia)

Apologies in advance for the poor photos.. one day i may work out how to do it. I bought this tree at the June club meeting from another member who had had it amongst his collection for 20-25yrs. It originally stood upright in this tray.
R0014512.jpg
One of very few mature trees i have ever bought, because it was ugly :lol: and I knew I could atleast get it strong & healthy again. I removed the first branch(oh bugger moment that worked out OK), wired & roped the second branch over the top of the trunk and repotted into akadama. It has not looked back.

Throwing it up for critique so hopefully I dont ruin what I have already started, or maybe someone can see something I dont to make it better. It stands approx 55cm & spreads 70cm and is overpotted at present.
R0014495.jpg
R0014497.jpg
R0014498.jpg
R0014499.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Re: Rhus (Toxicodendron succedaneum)

Post by Ron »

MattA wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: I have to start with this little exert I found while looking up the new name for this tree.....
"The rhus tree (Toxicodendron succedaneum) is the most dangerous plant in Australia." Don Burke (The most dangerous tv gardener in Australia)
Wow, I just Googled the Don Burke quotes and the man really doesn't like this plant, does he?

Ron ...
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Ron wrote:
MattA wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: I have to start with this little exert I found while looking up the new name for this tree.....
Wow, I just Googled the Don Burke quotes and the man really doesn't like this plant, does he?

Ron ...
I saw his name, copied the quote & moved on.. i dont like that man :beer: :hooray: :lol:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Hi Matt it's a nice start but :?: What about a $2000 fine, you live in NSW, and this quote ""Note: Every part of the tree is poisonous"". Maybe take a little care when working on it mate :lost: wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you Matt,,,, Craig
Ron
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives & Various
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by Ron »

Craig wrote:Hi Matt it's a nice start but :?: What about a $2000 fine, you live in NSW...
Since I moved to the Blue Mountains 20 or so years ago we've had a few inspections of our property by council rangers looking for noxious and prohibited plants (we weren't singled out: they do every block in the neighbourhood).

Does this happen in other areas too?

(Sorry to derail the topic for a moment but I've often wondered about my question.)

Ron ...
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Hey Craig,

That is Don stirring up the hornets as he always does. i did go and read the article.. he does go on some... then i went to the DPi website & the factsheet on Rhus.
Legislation
Rhus is a Class 4 Noxious Weed across all of NSW.The growth and spread of Class 4 weeds must be controlled according to the measures specified in a management plan published by a local management authority.

No mention of fines. I think Mitchell may be able to assist in clarifying this, he did a course so he could work with landcare or something, collecting weed species (privet mainly).

On working with this species, i have in the past had to do work on garden trees & never had any issues, I have never had any when working with this tree either. They do say it can be cumulative so I touch it as little as possible, tho still pinch with my fingers etc.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Thanks for the info Matt; :reading: Cheers, Craig
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Couldnt sleep with the heat last night so ended up getting into some trees around midnight :roll: This was amongst them.

here she is now
R0014515.jpg
R0014521.jpg
R0014523.jpg
R0014529.jpg
With the amount of buds it keeps popping all over the place I doubt it will be long before I get atleast one on the side branch where I want and it should push more energy into the buds I did leave to grow on.

Comments thoughts suggestions always welcomed.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MattA on January 2nd, 2011, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

This tree has responded as i had hoped, throwing lots of new buds not just where I wanted but everywhere else as well. I remove new buds as they form so they dont sap energy from the rest.
R0014746.JPG
It is only on rare occasions that i use wire or other means to position growth prefering clip & grow. The new left branch was heading in the wrong direction and pruning back to the first bud would not produce the desired result so it has been tied down while still sappy (these guys get very brittle very quickly). It will set in about 1-2wks & I can then remove the string.
R0014738.JPG
R0014740.JPG
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
craigw60
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: many
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: yarra valley

Post by craigw60 »

Hi Matt, there are quite a few rhus growing in gardens around here, their autumn colour is unrivaled, I have had in the past a pretty severe rash from handling the foliage but that doesn't put me off I just cover up if I need to handle them. Gardens are full of toxic plants, its not like we go around snacking on them. I grow monkshood here (aconitum) which is one serious poison but very beautiful. I hope you have success with your tree
Craigfw
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Hey Craig,

I remember that from my time in the Yarra, lots of them providing that glorious display each fall. There is also lots of Toona round there too giving there fabulous spring colour, its where I acquired my first (falsely labeled as Rhus!) I would have stayed at Warburton but constant damp gave my joints all manner of grief and killed alot of my collection of dryland lichens! Even tho they were under cover from rain etc it was just too damp.

I am really happy with how this tree has progressed since I got it & look forward to the next few years bringing it to a state I will be happy with. Lots of growing on & pruning back, they are a challenge due to the growth habit but its part of why I love it...I love a challenge.

I have monkshood as well and atleast a dozen other highly toxic plants growing in pots or garden. As long as you are careful there is no problems. How common is Oleander & they still sell it & have even brought out a miniature hybrid! If we counted how many posionous plants are still sold in nurseries, without any warnings, it would scare alot of people to know what they are growing.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Amanda
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#008040]Ficus & Natives[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FF00BF]AUSBONSAI.COM[/color] [color=#00BF00]۩[/color]

Post by Amanda »

Very Nice, Matthew, very nice :) Looking forward to a visit and seeing how this one is in real time. :shifty:

x
Failure and disappointment is part of the learning process. ~ Paul (pjkatich)
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Amanda wrote:Very Nice, Matthew, very nice :) Looking forward to a visit and seeing how this one is in real time. :shifty:

x
Your welcome to visit anytime.... You wont recognise the place, alot has been done since the last time & loads more trees!!!

This baby is progressing well, bugga that, better than well she is thumping. Still a few years & lots of work but its fast becoming another fave on the bench.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

The best colour of the lot...
R0015751rs.jpg
42 Mice ~Imperfection
dannynovo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Callistermon, Acacia
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by dannynovo »

Hi Matt,
nice colours on the Rhuse, just read your earlier thread on here about Don Burke.....Geez you missed your chance to meet him in person as he was at Bunnings Kotara a few weeks ago giving a lecture.... :lol:

danny

Return to “Critiques & Virtual Designs”